Google Chrome, any good???

Foxmeister

Fired Up!
Reaction score
As title, has anybody got Google Chrome for their browser?

Currently using Firefox with no problems for a while now but just want opinions on this if its worth bothering looking into?

Cheers.:icon_thumright:

Ive got firefox, chrome and IE8 all installed on my PC and IMO chromes the best of the lot. Its quick, it renders pages pretty well and the whole tie in google functions are great like the ability to use the address bar as search and if you get the address wrong it has suggestions as to what you meant. Very useful. Everyone has their own opinions, thats mine. i suggest you download it and check it out, its free! if you dont like it delete it and come back later when it meets you needs :)

Cheers, thanks for the info on the flipside, will give it a try then n see how it fairs up.:icon_thumright:

I agree. Chrome is very good. Three words sum it up: Simple, Fast, Effective. Not that good with some HTTPS based sites though, and not supported by all online services....

OK. I'm giving it another try and on the first attempt it shows another example of how useless it is.

I'm on the train for the 200 mile trip to London (as I regularly am) and no matter which Google site I try to visit (.com, .co.uk, .de, etc.) this is what I get:

4286924675_705046a43e_b.jpg

Now don't get me wrong. I'm all for certain things from Sweden, but search engines are not top of my list.

Thanks Google, but until you can sort out simple things like this, I'll use a browser that works.

Safari on OS X is far superior to any other browser. Safari on Windows is completely the opposite! Personally I haven't found anything to be faster than Safari on my MacBook, so I'm going to stick with it!

The screenie above is probably a good example of how much user-agent type information Chrome makes available - particularly to Google.

I've had similar things happen using Pocket IE on a PDA, I've been sent to a localised-Google which is a couple of thousand miles away from the locale (and seat of language) that I'm in. In that case it was more than likely to do with the gateway I was using to connect - I've had it using both O2 and T-Mobile - both of their UK operations have links with gateways in other countries via their own backbones so they can route traffic in and out of their network through a gateway which might not be as busy as the nearest local.

As I say, it could be a similar issue to an extent, but it's probably down to user-agent data that you couldn't re-navigate to somewhere more suitable (didn't the 'Google.com in English' link at the bottom work btw? - that should use the cookie to prevent it from bouncing you back to the wrong place again).

I seriously doubt that Chrome was born because Google saw the need for another web-browser for technical/user-experience reasons. It was probably more to do with the fact that often shareholders and markets place a lot of a company's worth on its market share - and when you've pretty much cornered the search engine market, you probably need to look at other places to gain share and swell your nuts. As with any Google product you use (and don't get me wrong, I use Google search too), they like to collect as much data on what you're doing (even if it's pretty anonymous) as they can get away with - that's information which is pretty valuable to them; Chrome is no different. I'm pretty confident that we could probably write a script and integrate it into ASN which could, using only the information that Chrome makes available, cancel your papers and milk, and stick a bun in your wife's oven.

If you're using a Windows PC, the only excuse to not use Firefox is if and when you need to access an Exchange server with OWA (Outlook Web Access) - there's pretty ActiveX that gives it a more functional (ie closer to the standalone Outlook) GUI, other than that I honestly can't think of one. You can even re-skin it to your heart's content if you're the kind of person who likes to fix something even though it isn't broken...

Regards,

Rob.

If you're using a Windows PC, the only excuse to not use Firefox is if and when you need to access an Exchange server with OWA (Outlook Web Access) - there's pretty ActiveX that gives it a more functional (ie closer to the standalone Outlook) GUI, other than that I honestly can't think of one. You can even re-skin it to your heart's content if you're the kind of person who likes to fix something even though it isn't broken...

Regards,

Rob.

I have to use IE on a virtual machine on my Mac because I need annoying root certificates to be installed to access secure sites for my job. I totally agree with what you have said though!

I'd recommend FireFox anyday, just for the shear amount of tools, and add-ons it has along with the opensource. Great for people like me who are web developers. You can have best of both worlds with the google toolbar added onto FF. Just hide the toolbar once installed and apply some settings and you got Firefox with google chrome built in.
Which leads to the next thing... Still like IE render engine etc? firefox has an addon that lets you use firefox but with a click of a button you can use IE's engine etc within Firefox. I.e use windows update, activex control.
Search 'IE Tab' if anyone is interested.

Agree with Brooksy, the amount of addons Firefox has is ridiculous and I couldn't go without. I did try Chromium for a short while, I loved how much more of the screen is used for the actual webpage (damn widescreen laptop!) but I felt lost without Image Zoom, Flashgot, Greasemonkey etc.

I have used Chrome for several months now and really prefer it over IE (7 or 8). It provides pages much quicker and i have yet to have it hang like ie used to.

To be fair to other users i have not really got into firefox which may well be better, but i would say that Chrome is vastly superior to IE.