Windows 7

Im sure I had both running on Win 7 Beta ok, Etka does work for sure, i'm still using it with win 7 RC.

I shall to try them. It's just during the installation of Elsawin it says it will not work on Vista. When I get my free copy of W7 from Dell I will load it into a separate partition and try installing both.

Was yours already installed and then you upgraded to W7 or did your do a clean install of W7 and then install Etka and Elsawin. It's possible that the programs will run OK but the installation routines will not work properly.

Last edited:
cant remember about ElsaWin but ETKA was installed on a spare drive under XP and just happened to still work when I changed to Win 7.

Still not as good as snow leopard in my opinion. I work as a AV/IT engineer and have used both for a little while now. To be honest I find leopard smoother, faster and generally a much more polished operating system. I had all sorts of problems installing windows 7 from my previous XP install. It wanted a fresh install then claimed I needed a valid vista install to upgrade from! I know a lot of other people have had this problem too! Theres still a lot of clutter bundled with windows and its takes quite a while to set it up how you want it. It also seems to be slowing down over the last few weeks, a problem XP and Vista both suffered from. I've also had a fair few crashes, especially when installing drivers etc. Windows 7 is definitely a worth while upgrade from Vista as it was literally useless. I still think Microsoft will struggle to persuade businesses, university's etc to upgrade from XP though! As for upgrading Leopard to Snow Leopard, you put the disc in, literally click a few buttons and its done! It boots very fast and the os is very quick and smooth! Having said that I have had two crashes, double what I had while using Leopard last year!

ETKA works fine for me too. Did on Vista also.

But did you install Etka on a clean install of Windows 7 or just upgrade your current OS to Windows 7. I think it may be the installation routine that does not work yet with W7.

I will try it soon. I have just received an email from Dell telling me my free W7 upgrade has been dispatched. I will do a clean install of W7 (assuming from copy from Dell will allow me to do that) to a separate partition and try and install Etka 7.2 and Elsawin 7.62 and see what happens. My new desktop has a 1TB hard disk so I have plenty of room to play.

Both worked fine for me on vista clean installs every time on laptops & desktops, several different ones infact.

Interesting because the installation instructions I have for Elsawin 3.70 (2009) say...

"Minimum requirements - PC with at least Windows NT4.0 - NOT compatible with Windows Vista"

It will be interesting to try a new install on a clean install of Windows 7 and see what happens. I'll take an image of the Windows 7 clean install beforehand just in case it screws it up.

It will be like old times. For the my last 8 years working full time one of the parts of my job was to install the latest revision of the companies software into the various operating system, to make sure they installed correctly and worked when they were installed before it went out to the customers.

Very strange as elsawin even previous versions has worked on vista no worries.

Had windows 7 installed on my pc since its official release and I love it.

I have a quad core 3.4ghz system with 8gig DDR3 ram and mega graphics card running dual 23inch monitors - performance is lightning with this os. I can multi-task to my hearts content and there is no noticable performance drop at all.

Performance rating is only 5.7, but it is the hard drive that is the weak link (7000rpm sataII) as everything else is almost top marks.

Very nice bit of software - not found anything it can't run yet.

Time for a Velociraptor mate or wait for a SATA 3 drive, but doubt they're be 10k 1st out, so go with raptor for now, prices have dropped slightly to.