HTC Hero

smudge_don

Reaction score
Just ordered mine, anyone got one already?

Few of the guys at work have and it looks immense! ****** all over the iPhone!

Got a really good deal as well from www.buymobilephones.net

Got 10% off my existing contract through upgrading with them, plus my outstanding 25% discount with Orange, phone for free, unlimited internet and email, unlimited texts and 1200mins

And i'm only paying like £28 a month now! :yahoo:

What made you choose that phone over the others?

It's not available on Vodafone ... :(

Was looking for a nice big touch screen phone for my Dad and I chose this one.

Its fantastic imo. Lovely big screen with great resolution and because its run on Android it has brilliant App's available like 'Shopsavvy'.

I'm pretty addicted to the 'Teeter' game as well, lol.

I got it from www.buymobilephones.net also. Have used them for 4 years. The deals they chuck out are amazing.

I got my brother a clearance 18month contract for £25pm, 12months @ 99p with 300minutes and unltd texts.

Glad to see another HTC Fan, i've been using them for years. I currently have the Touch Diamond, and the HTC Dream

We use Nokia's at work, which are RUBBISH! HTC all the way :)

Anyone here tried the HTC HD2? I fancy one of these to replace my temperamental Xperia.
Thanks,
Dave

I have friends with um. At the moment it's only available on orange to business customers. So I can't get my hands on one without buying it out right.

Looks a good phone though! :)

best phone i have ever used by far, i love it, nothing it cannot do and so many apps on google market place to play about with, had it since its release on orange and would reccomend it 100% to any one,

the iphone has such a herd of die hard "sheep" followers, you would never argue the case that the HTC hero is better......doesnt make it not true though

best phone i have ever used by far, i love it, nothing it cannot do and so many apps on google market place to play about with, had it since its release on orange and would reccomend it 100% to any one,

the iphone has such a herd of die hard "sheep" followers, you would never argue the case that the HTC hero is better......doesnt make it not true though

Yeah i hate people that get the iphone because "it's the fashion"

Doesn't matter how many people have got it, still makes it **** compared to the likes of the HTC in my opinion!

I love my HTC, it's got everything i need for a phone and more

I have the HTC hero, brillaint phone but i often find it really lag's up but you can get a programe called "Task Killer" which closes all unnessasery programes running in the background!

Ive had mine for a few weeks now, i love it, i find the iphones overated, granted its smooth, but its so boring now!

the heros stylish like all htcs, and if you get the latest update off their website, it runs alot smoother! also has more features over the iphone.

and it a couple of months it hasnt got a single scratch or mark, the whole thing is really scratch resistant

only small let down with the phone is the camera i think needs alot of light to get a decent picture

Last edited:
ahem.

Hi, Iv just had to open a new account as im so outraged by this. Are you guys HTC shareholders?

Although iphone has become a bit of a fashion accessory, but it is still a very good phone. Value for money is questionable.

I see the htc hero as a 'wannabe' iphone, trying to copycat all its features.

I have a iPhone 2g, but just taken a contract out on the HTC Hero - mainly because the reviews it gets are equal if not better in some areas than the iphone (flashplayer, better camera, video etc).
I am an iPhone fan and would probably get a newer one but the prices they demand are too much imo.
The Hero is available on much cheaper tariffs and does basically the same, its a no brainer really. Just hope its as good as the reviews now.

ahem.

Hi, Iv just had to open a new account as im so outraged by this. Are you guys HTC shareholders?

Although iphone has become a bit of a fashion accessory, but it is still a very good phone. Value for money is questionable.

I see the htc hero as a 'wannabe' iphone, trying to copycat all its features.

Welcome to the forum.

Outraged over a comment about a cellphone, mate seriously take a pill & chill, its just opinions over things given we're human (well most except Siena) that we would not all agree on.

The Iphone is actually a very good handset, nobody can deny it, these people who whinge about it cause its successful & everyone's got one, well reason why they have one is because its a good piece of kit, good design, touch screen works where as HTC previous ones were useless, has almost unlimited apps to use with it, so its a no brainer overall & yes admittedly there's the sheepy attitude to it aswell, follow everyone else, but its a good device, but saying that it is way OTT on pricing & apple are tight butts for features, but as its there device then they're entitled to be I guess, personally I use a Samsung Tocco, works great now after the initial stumbling blocks, but firmware update has resolved ages ago & it just works all the time.

thought this yahoo article would be of interest to viewers of this thread

Top 10 gadgets of 2009

Tom Royal
Thu 10 Dec 10:41 GMT
This last year has been a remarkable one for technology, and particularly small pocket-sized gadgets: from web-surfing smartphones to miniscule music players and tiny laptops, we've seen many brilliant new products vying for your disposable income. Here's our selection of the very best 10 gadgets from 2009, hand picked by the experts at Computeractive magazine.

1. Apple iPhone 3GS
Apple's iPhone 3G was a great smartphone but the 3GS, launched this year, is one of the best we've ever seen. Although it looks much the same as the 3G this latest version has a better camera, can record video clips and can be controlled by speaking into the microphone. And with more power inside it's also faster when surfing the web and better at playing 3D games.
2. HTC Hero
2009 has been a year dominated by smartphones and the Hero, alongside Palm's Pre and Apple's iPhone 3GS, is one of the finest. It's not the first phone to use Google's Android operating system, but by packing it into a sleek case with a large touch-screen, HTC produced the first great Android phone. It's a great way to surf the web, download applications, play music or even make the odd call.
3. Asus Eee PC 1005HA
This year saw tiny netbook computers move from gadgets for geeks to mainstream success. Asus started the trend with its original Eee PC, and its new 1005HA sums up everything that's great about the latest models. It's small and sleek with a fast wireless connection and a 10.1in LED backlit display, but most important is the battery: this little computer will run and run, lasting well over six hours on one charge.
4. Flip Mino HD 8GB
When Apple announced that it was packing a video camera into its iPod Nano music player, video camera makers had to act quickly - and Flip Video was impressively fast to respond. Its newest, updated pocket camcorder has a large 2in screen, a brushed metal body, two hours of video storage and can connect to your TV via HDMI. And, just like the older model, it records high-definition 720p video.
5. Sony X-Series Walkman
Sony's Walkman brand has had a tough time of late, with Apple's iPod dominating the portable music player market, but the X-Series marks a return to form. It has a 3in wide touch-screen but can also be controlled with buttons when in a pocket, can connect via WiFi to show websites or Youtube videos, and provides noise cancellation with any headphones. And, of course, it sounds great.
6. Palm Pre
One of the most eagerly awaited gadgets of the year, Palm's newest phone is one of the few that can rival Apple's iPhone range. It's small and sleek but packs both a multi-touch screen and, unlike the iPhone, a slide-out keyboard. Its WebOS software is simple to use and can run several applications at once - a trick lacking from Apple's products.
7. Sony Vaio X
Over the last few years we've seen quite a few thin laptops, from Apple's Macbook Air to the Dell Adamo, but the Sony Vaio X is the first to literally stop us in our tracks. This tiny computer packs an 11.1in LED-backlit screen into a case that's just over half an inch tall and weighs just 655 grams
8. iPod Shuffle
Apple's first iPod Shuffle was, unusually for the company, slightly ugly. The second generation was far prettier, but this latest edition is remarkable. With all buttons now removed in favour of voice control the Shuffle is now so tiny you could probably swallow it, and its metal body with a handy clip feels very sturdy. The only downside is its headphones: with all controls on the headphone cable, replacement options are limited.
9. Nikon Coolpix S1000PJ
At first glance the S1000PJ might look like just another pocket camera: it shoots 12.1-megapixel photos, has a 5x optical zoom lens and optical image stabilisation. Push the slider control on the top, though, and the extra lens on the front suddenly makes sense as the camera projects your photos up to 2m onto a wall or screen. You won't find any other camera in the world that can do this, and it works surprisingly well.
10. Nvidia 3D Vision Kit
2009 has been a breakthrough year for 3D, with most manufacturers showing off plans for new 3D TV sets, but most won't arrive on the high street until next year at the earliest. If you have a PC, though, you can get a 3D gaming experience today. This kit includes the necessary glasses, transmitter and software, works with most recent Nvidia graphics cards and is far cheaper than a new 3D display.

As great as I'm sure the iPhone is - I get a bit bored with it winning EVERYTHING! :shrug:

So is the Hero better than the HTC Desire?

Im a complete Smart Phone numpty and have been offered this by T Mobile as my contract expires in a couple of weeks.

We may be getting standard issue IPhones at work so sitting tight for a few weeks until a decision is made.
Any guidance appreciated, although the limited reaserch Ive done (about 10 mins!) seems to suggest that IPod and HTC are the ones to have??

Thanks
Paul

The Desire has only just come out Paul so I would guess it's better but I don't know by how much. Looking at the specs both run Android 2.1 (with an update on the Hero) and the Desire has the bigger screen (320 × 480 vs 480 x 800). Other than that I don't know.

I have a Desire and I can quite honestly say I have been utterly blown away by it. Almost everyday I find a feature or app that impresses me and I have had it for nearly a month.

A few weeks ago Google enabled navigation on certain Android phones. It's completely free and is an add-in within the normal Google maps. Today I noticed that it's possible to view by street-view too:

street-view.jpg

Untouchable and completely free with the phone.

My dad has a 3GS and the Desire makes it look very dated.

I'm a member of androidforums.com Paul, it's been very handy :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
I switched to an HTC as I liked the look of the user interface, and wanted to get something a bit different to the iPhone for a change. I had it for 2 days, I downloaded my music onto it, plugged in my earphones and after 30 seconds I was packing it back up into the box ready for a trip back to the phone shop the next day.

I hate to admit, but for those that appreciate the quality of their music you can't beat the iPhone for sound quality in a phone, but the HTC did and still would appeal if music wasn't an factor for my daily commute.

I hate to admit, but for those that appreciate the quality of their music you can't beat the iPhone for sound quality in a phone, but the HTC did and still would appeal if music wasn't an factor for my daily commute.

Music sounds just fine on my phone. I'm amazed you think iPhones are unbeatable for music on a phone though.

Music sounds just fine on my phone. I'm amazed you think iPhones are unbeatable for music on a phone though.

I guess it comes down to how serious people take their hi-fi etc, I am quite anal with it so I do pick up on differences more than average Jo. Now I know you can't call an iPhone serious Hi fidelity but i've still not come across a phone that offers better quality.