Using mobile phone as modem.

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Didn't really know how to title this thread, but I need some questions answered which will decide what phone I'm going to get next, as I'm due an upgrade.

I think I've narrowed it down to i-Phone or Nokia N97 anyways, so the decision isn't difficult.

I'm currently paying around £40 per month on Voda, which includes a seperate net Dongle which is limited to 3GB per month which is more than enough for my needs.
Now the contracts I'm looking at allows for unlimited internet access via the phone for approx £40 per month still with the phone for free. But the wuestion I want to know is, can I use this unlimited net access as bandwidth usage on my laptop and be done with the net dongle?

The guy I spoke to at Voda tells me I can't with the N97, it's seperate on Voda contracts. I've been looking into the i-Phone setup, and my brother inlaw tells me I can get software to allow me to use the i-phone as a modem, and using the phones net bandwidth that I'm already paying for. Can anyone confirm this can be done? And if so, why can't it be done on the Nokia N97?

Your supplier will charge you for data usage when using it as a modem. Usually there is a small charge to add unlimited data usage.

I suspect the i phone app, makes the phone use it's inclusive surfing in such a way that you cam use it through the modem via bluetooth presumably.

I use 3 and for an extra £10 i can have unlimited data usage but it's so slow it's not worth it for me

With iphone you can use as a modem with your package more info on tethering best look at itunes.com all the info on iphone is on there cheers Ian

im on t mobile and use to use my nokia n95 as a modem via the nokia software.
i had to get the £12.50 per month unlimited web and walk. this allowed net acces on the phone or and also when using the phone as a modem.

As far as the mobile company see it all comes under your inclusive mobile internet package.

Before I got the phone line I was surfing via bluetooth using my phone as a modem and it cost me nothing as I had free internet anyway.

I know with an iPhone it can only be done if the phone is jailbroken. Don't know about the N97 but if the N95 allowed it as Paul says I see no reason why they change it.

It's just a case of installing the software and clicking connect. It really is that easy.

You can do it with the iPhone without it being jailbroken, but it is breaking the terms of your contract, so you might end up getting cut off.

To do it officially on the iPhone, you need to pay for the tethering bolt-on at £15/month for 3GB or £30/month for 10GB.

I see, it's more clear now, so there is software available to do it(jailbroken), but the service provider doesn't want you to do it, cos they are cnuts. I do prefer the N97, if only because I've had Nokias for my last 5 phones, and I prefer a keyboard and buttons as opposed to 100% touchscreen. So need a definitive answer with N97 though.