Windows XP login failure

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
I need your help Window XP Guru's.

I'm having a problem logging into Windows on my laptop. When firing the laptop up, it would go onto the windows screen with the animated loading logo at the bottom. Before it even gets onto the main screen where I choose which user account, it would flick to a blue screen mementarily(not even 1 sec), then reboot the lappy from the beginning.
I can access the Bios setting, but not too sure what to do with those, can't seem to get into safe mode neither.
Prior to this happening, I was transferring a file from a memory dongle via the USB, and a blue screen flashed up, something about 'memory dumping' or something similar, and the whole thing froze. So I held the power off button to switch off and never managed to get back on.

Any ideas of a fix is appreciated, or I will need to buy a new lappy with the not so likes Windows Vista.

What you need is safe mode

To get into the Windows 2000 / XP Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu". Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

Once you are in safe mode you can disable the reboot loop, giving you chance to note down the error and post it back here for me\us to diagnose.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Good Luck :)

Last edited:
I'm definately no expert, but when restarting did you take the memory stick out?
I'm running XP and find some of my USB stuff plays with the startup and it's almost like it tries to boot from it.
If you're saying it just will not start up then I've had quite a few battery issues and hard disc failures that have caused the same symptoms over a number of years and quite a few laptops.

Last edited:
The BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) tends to be either a device driver issue or RAM (Memory) issue. Until JoJo can get the error message we will not know either way.

One things for sure, it's not worth buying a new machine for! (unless you wanna sell your old one 'as seen' :))

OK, I just got it working actually, after a couple of hours of stressing!

USB stick was pulled out, so not booting from that, and I just couldn't get it into 'safe mode' the same thing was happening!

I just kept on clicking 'use last known working configuration' and after the 3rd time it fired up! Not switched it off yet for a rerun, but I think the HD is on it's last legs. My son spilt milk all over this lappy about a year ago, and I've fixed it and been using it for surfing only. Could be a new lappy on the horizon soon lol.

Thanks for the replies.