Problem with my laptop

Reaction score
The battery went flat and it turned off without being shut down properly and now when you start it up it has the screen with "start windows normally/safe mode/prompt" etc but no matter which mode its started in all that happens is it start's up/display on screen as expected but all you end up with is a black screen with the cursor arrow on it.The laptop hasnt locked up and the cursor can be moved and it reacts to the wi-fi/lock buttons being pressed but it just will do nothing else.Anyone have any idea's,its on vista basic by the way !!

Have you tried 'last known good config' ?

The battery went flat and it turned off without being shut down properly and now when you start it up it has the screen with "start windows normally/safe mode/prompt" etc but no matter which mode its started in all that happens is it start's up/display on screen as expected but all you end up with is a black screen with the cursor arrow on it.The laptop hasnt locked up and the cursor can be moved and it reacts to the wi-fi/lock buttons being pressed but it just will do nothing else.Anyone have any idea's,its on vista basic by the way !!

remove the battery from the laptop, start with the mains only. See if everything works fine. If yes, shut down and plug the battery again.

Also, the battery might need a recalibration.

what laptop is it?

"Have you tried 'last known good config' ?" yep tried that although that option has now disapeared off the start menu,tried starting without the battery and its still the same.The laptop is a fujitsu siemens amilo pro.

Try pressing F11 or F12 laptop dependent on startup of laptop which should take you to the recovery screen, what options do you have from there?

Check the bottom of the screen when laptop starts for recovery F key it advises to press for recovery, then if we can get to that part we can probably recover it to working state for you.

Unfortunatly the windows and recovery disc were thrown out by mistake with the box,f12 is the boot menu,f11 give start up options but no matter which one is chosen it ends up the same with the exeption of a larger cursor arrow in safe mode.Pressing the f key doesnt seem to do anything the only other option is f2 but it asks for a password which i have no idea what it is or even knew it had one !!

that'll be a BIOS password then i think. this can be sorted by yanking the power supply from the motherboard.

google the laptop make and model with defaul bios password, you might get lucky

My brother in laws laptop did the same thing after it installed an update. have you tried just leaving it to see if it eventually goes into windows? we ended up just installing a fresh copy of windows on his laptop

Ive tried leaving it and it make no difference,googled the model number and looked an the F/S website but could not find out the bios password.The model of my laptop is a v3515,i think it looks like i will have to take it to the computer shop and get them to re-install windows on it !!

Do you have an other PC you can use to possibly aquire the discs you need? As you have the Vista COA so it will be mostly legal as it's the licence you pay for

Well if you can get your hands on an XP OEM disk you may find it will work anyway..

Your fine as far as licences go, as your laptop will have a sticker on the bottom, plus they are shipped with XP anyway.

Don't get ripped off at any computer shop, it's a simple fix! 1 hour max..

Its got the license sticker on the bottom,i would'nt mind having a go myself where would i get a vista disc from ??

It has allways been on vista and has the vista key sticker on the bottom,i think some of this model came with xp but the later ones were supplied with vista around the time it was first launched.

Yeah I concur with abdus, just use an iso to write a copy of vista or as above & then go through install process & select the recovery options which will reinstall/overwrite relevant files & I would think would correct your problem.

Only issue might find with another vista iso is yours is an oem so it might not like repair for your install given it wouldnt see a compatible install, but tbh few things on vista I found makes me think you'll be ok given I have stuck an upgrade key into a new vista install not upgrade & it accepted it 1st time & each time tested when vista installed without a key in trial mode, so probably will repair an oem install with a say retail/upgrade vista iso.