Outlook Express Problem

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
I have OE6 on XP Service pack 3 and am not receiving emails.

When I press send and receive the usual box flashes up for a split second and there are no error messages, but it says "No New Messages" After a couple of days this seemed suss so I checked on Virgin webmail and there were all my messages!

I have searched the MS support site with limited success!

Any ideas?

Do you know if Windows/Microsoft Update has done any updates to Outlook Express around the time of the problem starting?

Also, were you previously Virgin Internet or Telewest/NTL?

Regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob

Now you mention it there was an update took place over the weekend which would coincide.

Was with Virgin internet, have been for years.

Anyone else got any ideas?

How can I find out if the updates have caused the problem? Can I just reverse it with system restore, or will that not remove the update?

System restore will reverse the update, so you could try that!

Take a look and see what System restore reports. It should show you if any updates have been installed.

Its strange that outlook is not reporting any issues. Perhaps give VM support a call?

Other things to try:

Remove your email profile/settings and reconfigure
Try an alternative pop3 client to test
If your computer literate, try connecting manually to the pop3 server using telnet

Hi James,

Are you running any AV? some AV updates commonly decide to be helpful and attempt to scan your incoming emails, your mail client sends your pop3 login details to the AV client, your AV client should then attempt to authenticate with your pop3 server but sometimes it doesn't and fails to return any errors back to your mail client. (I've seen this a few times with macafee and AVG updates)

If you're running AV try (temporarily) disabling the email scanning.

If you make a not of your incoming pop3 mail server you should be able to telnet to it on port 110.

I'd also call VM support as they can see if your mail client requests are reaching their servers and see any errors (if any).

Thanks for your input Guys.

I am running Virgin PCGuard AV, have had it for a few months and had no problems. I will do a system restore first off and see what that does. If that doesn't work then I will try and disable the email scanning temporarily.

I'm not over computer literate so will need help re the manual connec tion using telnet :ohmy:

Will be a couple of days until I get round to it but I will update with any news :)

System restore will reverse the update, so you could try that!

Take a look and see what System restore reports. It should show you if any updates have been installed.

One thing after another :banghead:

No updates show on System restore, all I have is

• System Checkpoint
  • Software Distribution Services 3.0
Both appear as restore points virtually every day. I have tried to restore to one of these from about 2 weeks ago but it says "Unable to restore your computer".

Will try Cockneyboys idea later, or as a last resort ring Virgin lol

Had a similar issue with mine. Make sure all accounts are Pop3. For some reason emails were not being recieved until I changed mine

Thanks Mac, when I get round to having a look at it I will update.

Right I have been worried about this as I've just been using Virgin webmail in the meantime, but its a pain having to copy and paste addresses etc.

I tried to uninstall OE today, but it wasn't as straightforward as I hoped. Google revealed lots of trashy sites offering chrgeable apps. to do it for me .... Has anyone done it? Is there an easy way for technophobes with deleting parts of the registry etc?!

Bump.

Anyone able to help with deleting Outlook Express prior to reinstalling it?

Cheers

do you have winrar installed, if not go get it. pm me your email.

Ok mate, will do when I get home from work, cheers!

What does it do?

OE is tied in with the operating system and a right ****** to remove. One of the reasons the idiots in Europe have made Microsoft release windows 7 with no email client at all.

OE is tied in with the operating system and a right ****** to remove. One of the reasons the idiots in Europe have made Microsoft release windows 7 with no email client at all.

Yeah I'm discovering that! I may well end up just leaving it and using Webmail!

do you have winrar installed, if not go get it. pm me your email.

PM sent.