which iphone?

205man

Reaction score
im going to upgrade my phone this week as was going to go possibly for an iphone (got the n95 8gb at mo)

but which one should i go for 3g or 3gs?

having a huge amount of storage isnt really an issue and so not to bothered about that.

but is there a new a huge difference between the new 3gs and the 3g now that its had the software update?

I've just gone for the 3g 8gb....like you, i don't need the storage and now the 3.0 update is available (picture messaging, cut and paste and a few other updates) I (personally) couldn't see the point of the 3gs.

Hardware wise: 3G S is faster loading, has marginally better battery life, 3d graphics accelerator for games, a much better camera (still pretty c**p though...) and can record video. Oh and it has a built is compass (?!? Whoopee!)

If any of these are important, then the 3G S, otherwise, save your money and buy the 3G. I'll be staying with my 3G 16GB for some time to come...

Cheers,

Just thought I'd throw my 2pence worth as im in the same situation, and have decided on the 3gs after much research.

The compass is actually a more advanced feature than you may think and prove a huge advantage with applications they'll produce for the IPhone in the future. In effect it's not just an app that can navigate you to North if your lost on the south pole, far from it it's actually a completely new bearing or axis if you like that the IPhone can sense.

What the heck am I talking about? Well for example there's a Wimbledon App that apparently can sense when you point the phone at the direction of any tennis court at wimbledon which is play. When you do this displays all the court information, score, and all the stats basically in real time for it. (I can imagine this being developed so it can be used in certain shops in the future)

However this feature will only work on the 3Gs as with the compass it 'knows' which way the phone is actually facing.. thus it becomes much more than just a 'compasss'. Yes the 3G has GPS, and knows where it is in the world but not which way it's facing... it could be upside down for all it cares!

There's even talk of a app being developed that's similar to google street. Ie if u visit a town u don't know and point ur IPhone in the direction of shops or a road, it can display the actual map with the shops, restaurants, beaures whatever it is all with there telephone numbers, there menu for restaurants etc... all fed from Googles huge database that it's allready building online for google maps.

Again the compass will be invaluable to this and wouldn't work on the 3G IPhone. Ok so these kind of apps may not be being released tommorow, but 12months down the line they'll certainly be on the cards or even sooner - and you may end up regretting not going for the 3Gs by then. (minimal 18month contract unless you buy it out right off course!)

So bear that in mind in the future when they start releasing even more advanced Apps for the Iphone... I without a doubt am going for the 3Gs just for the compass alone! But as you can see there's huge potential for it and how the Iphone can use it. Hope that helps ur decision.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for O2 to get some more handsets in stock then i'm getting an iPhone 3GS too. I do think that those already with an iPhone 3G might as well just wait a little longer till the price for the S comes down but as i've never owned an iPhone i'm going straight for the S.

Anyone know if they will ever be released on any other network? O2 is no good for me :3sadwalk:

Im not sure how long O2's exclusivity contract is with Apple but I shouldn't think it'll be any time soon. I've also read that trying to unlock an iPhone can cabage it completely.