HELP PLEASE!!!

RichA3Turbo

Reaction score
Is there any software to stop spyware and other such irritating [censored] being instlled on the PC?

i spent 4 hours last night backing up, formatting the HDD, thereinstalling everything to get rid of any crap there was...pc was playing up also. The most irritating thaing was that it would not let me keep my homepage... some dodgy software got auto-installed off a website and would always revert back to its site! I got eid of it, but now its back!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

i want some software to REMOVE this and also to prevent it happening in the future. Cany anyone suggest anything?

I use adaware but this isnt working! It detects the software and 'removes' it, but it then comes back! i am SERIOUSLY p1ssed off with it!

someone PLEASE give me a solution!

Rich

Alright mate,

Being a web developer I know what you mean.

Anyway, here goes:

Spybot
Spybot
Download this program, run it every week, before running every time check for updates.

Adaware
Adaware
Again, download this program and run it every week, this should take away all spyware on your system.

This is a minium any computer connected to the net should have, ideally you should have a firewall.

Hope this helps.

Mike

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Is there any software to stop spyware and other such irritating [censored] being instlled on the PC?

i spent 4 hours last night backing up, formatting the HDD, thereinstalling everything to get rid of any crap there was...pc was playing up also. The most irritating thaing was that it would not let me keep my homepage... some dodgy software got auto-installed off a website and would always revert back to its site! I got eid of it, but now its back!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

i want some software to REMOVE this and also to prevent it happening in the future. Cany anyone suggest anything?

I use adaware but this isnt working! It detects the software and 'removes' it, but it then comes back! i am SERIOUSLY p1ssed off with it!

someone PLEASE give me a solution!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich,

First off what version of windoze are you using?

Secondly, staying off the p0rn and warez sites usually eliminates 95% of browser hijacking and spy/adware. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

If your browser's been hijacked, as by the sounds of it it has, then cwshredder is a pretty good tool for removing [censored] like that.

Download and run it - hit the check for updates button and download and install if necessary, then run the 'Scan Only' option to have CWS check your system for dodgy reg entries. If it reports back that your browser has been hijacked then run the app again and hit the next button. That will then check for and remove any 'dodgy' entries and hopefully remove them.

Download and run that first and let us know how you get on. There's loads of other adware/spyware removal tools out there but see how you get on with that first.

One of the best ways to prevent this stuff happening is to ditch Internet Explorer and opt for another browser. Mozilla or Opera are fav's other than IE.

Report back...

Ben /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
1600sport said:

Spybot
Spybot
Download this program, run it every week, before running every time check for updates.

Adaware
Adaware
Again, download this program and run it every week, this should take away all spyware on your system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one Mike, they are some of the other tools you can use to rid this junk. Be very careful what you remove with Spybot though, as sometimes it does slip up and choose files that aren't necessarily infected. The same rule can be applied to any apps such as this.

Have seen this before and a mate of mine deleted his entire registry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif I found it funny till I had to fix it for him

Webroot's spysweeper is the best that I have used, it got rid of some pretty persistent keyloggers and tracking spyware which all the others failed to shift. If you keep it running in the background all the time it will stop new infections. Sadly it now seems to be even more essential than a good anti-virus software.

BTW if you are running XP spyware can be harder to remove because some of it exploits XP's inherent ability to keep previous config (in case you corrupt drivers dll's etc).

[ QUOTE ]
chimmo said:
One of the best ways to prevent this stuff happening is to ditch Internet Explorer and opt for another browser. Mozilla or Opera are fav's other than IE.

Report back...

Ben /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ive taken your advice and i am now using Mozilla Firefox! Hopefully should be better. Also installed spybot. This is on my work PC and will install it on my home PC when i have recoverd my lost data /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Cheers

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Anito said:
A Personal Firewall is the best option. Also keep your Anti-Virus definitions up to date, check them daily and make sure your system is patched up to date using Windows Update.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice but neither will stop Spyware which is designed to piggyback web page downloads. If that is all you are using then I would strongly suggest downloading one of the anti-spyware programs listed above and running a full system scan.

[ QUOTE ]
garethj said:
[ QUOTE ]
Anito said:
A Personal Firewall is the best option. Also keep your Anti-Virus definitions up to date, check them daily and make sure your system is patched up to date using Windows Update.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice but neither will stop Spyware which is designed to piggyback web page downloads. If that is all you are using then I would strongly suggest downloading one of the anti-spyware programs listed above and running a full system scan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once ive recovered my lost data (this evening), then i will be no,longer using IE...have gone for Mozilla Firefox instead... and using spybot as it seems to work really well...along with PC-Cillin internet security.

Internet just becoming a joke... way too easy to pickup stuff you dont want and didnt even agree to! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Internet just becoming a joke... way too easy to pickup stuff you dont want and didnt even agree to! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Too true Rich, I was cleaning up a laptop only today of someone I work with who'd recently managed to rack up a £200 phone bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif when she picked up a dialler from some site.. she was only connected for 15 minutes. Those things (amongst adware/spyware) are the real byatches of internet scum out there