EM TuningMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: new tv wanted

  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    38

    new tv wanted

    hi all im after some advice on getting a new tv.

    im looking for
    • 42"
    • LCD (as now lcd is meant to be better then plasma
    • min of 2 hdmi inputs
    • 1080p
    • 5 part componants (xbox 360)
    • vga input
    • optical output
    and prob a few other things i cant think of.

    plus where is the best place to buy. online or from a retailer ?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    abdus's Avatar
    Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    On an Island
    Posts
    1,809
    only thing I can say:

    What size TV...

    lol
    ^^ In my opinion


  4. #3
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chorley, Lancs
    Posts
    770
    ...dunno...but I don't like my 2 year old Sony Bravia 32" LCD - really disapointing performance in normal (not HD) mode.....crap picture watching football (red and green kit leaves players ghosting), and anything fast - like the jets in Top Gun are blurry no matter how much I fiddle with the settings......
    Last edited by JohnboyC; 7th April 2009 at 19:50.
    A4 2.5 Tdi Avant Quattro Sport : 180HP 6 speed, Mauritius Blue, full black leather heated electric front seats, auto lights, Xenons, auto dipping rear view mirror, heated folding door mirrors, cruise control, Bose, full DIS, MFSW, 18" RS6 reps, rear parking sensors, colour coded lower, rear door window blinds, interior & ambient lighting kit, under seat storage, front armrest as standard. RS4 ARB, RNS-e sat nav, Cd Changer, OEM bluetooth fitted by me.

  5. #4
    1wheelonly's Avatar
    cabriolet

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Lounge
    Posts
    2,062
    johnboyc,
    im not a fan of the sonys but there are ways of getting better pictures,leads, upscalers etc.
    what you watching through it, ie mainly sky?
    how are you connected to it, ie scart, component ?
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

  6. #5
    3.2 Ju's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,147
    Not a fan of lcd tbh. I had a Toshiba 42" lcd for 10 months before it went faulty. Currently I have 2 Panasonic Viera plasmas, a 42" and a 37" and the picture quality is superb. IMHO, plasma gives a softer more realistic picture compared to lcd.

    Panasonics are always at or near the top of the reviews so you can't go far wrong with one.
    E93 335i

    Previous
    2010 R36 Saloon in Biscay Blue
    2008 Red S3
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro S-line Sportback dsg Avus silver
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro Sport Sportback dsg Black


  7. #6
    abdus's Avatar
    Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    On an Island
    Posts
    1,809
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnboyC View Post
    ...dunno...but I don't like my 2 year old Sony Bravia 32" LCD - really disapointing performance in normal (not HD) mode.....crap picture watching football (red and green kit leaves players ghosting), and anything fast - like the jets in Top Gun are blurry no matter how much I fiddle with the settings......
    which Bravia do you have and from what box are you getting the SD?

    Have you tried the lyris website abd get some tips?
    ^^ In my opinion


  8. #7
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,121
    The Bravia range of TV's differ hugely accross the range. X and Z ones are the nuts. Samsung 8 Series are suppose to be very good
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

  9. #8
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.2 Ju View Post
    Not a fan of lcd tbh. I had a Toshiba 42" lcd for 10 months before it went faulty. Currently I have 2 Panasonic Viera plasmas, a 42" and a 37" and the picture quality is superb. IMHO, plasma gives a softer more realistic picture compared to lcd.

    Panasonics are always at or near the top of the reviews so you can't go far wrong with one.
    Absolutely second that. Panny plasmas wipe the floor with anything else out there - particularly LCDs. Superb upscaling from SD sources, and very realistic HiDef rendering from BluRay. LCDs (even v. expensive ones) look artificial by comparison. Could not be happier with ours (42").

  10. #9
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey_a6 View Post
    Absolutely second that. Panny plasmas wipe the floor with anything else out there - particularly LCDs. Superb upscaling from SD sources, and very realistic HiDef rendering from BluRay. LCDs (even v. expensive ones) look artificial by comparison. Could not be happier with ours (42").
    If I was going Plasma, I wouldn't look at anything other than Pioneer, by far the best plasmas by a mile! Its the running costs of a plasma tv that are they only downside imho, they use ALOT more leccy
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

  11. #10
    1wheelonly's Avatar
    cabriolet

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Lounge
    Posts
    2,062
    klauster,
    if thats your motor in your avatar then i wouldnt worry to much about a few quid on the leccy you tight sod. lol
    i do agree with you on the pioneers but pound for pound i agree with the lads above,i have a few now both lcd ( for the kids ) and plasma, and still think that plasma still comes out on top.
    had pannys for a while now and have not long gone up from a 42" to a 50".
    i thought i would loose alot of the quality with the step up as basicly the lines and dots are the same for both sizes but im well happy with it, dont think many other makes could say the same in the same senario except pioneer, no lcd's would do this in my opinion and this is only my opinion before a plasma/lcd war starts.
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

  12. #11
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wheelonly View Post
    klauster,
    if thats your motor in your avatar then i wouldnt worry to much about a few quid on the leccy you tight sod. lol
    i do agree with you on the pioneers but pound for pound i agree with the lads above,i have a few now both lcd ( for the kids ) and plasma, and still think that plasma still comes out on top.
    had pannys for a while now and have not long gone up from a 42" to a 50".
    i thought i would loose alot of the quality with the step up as basicly the lines and dots are the same for both sizes but im well happy with it, dont think many other makes could say the same in the same senario except pioneer, no lcd's would do this in my opinion and this is only my opinion before a plasma/lcd war starts.
    Every discussion I have ever seen regarding LCD vs Plasma pretty much comes to the same outcome, its personal preference and the environment it is used, light levels, room size, type of content watched etc... I have LCD's at the moment, but I would happily have a plasma should I find one I like in budget and the right spec
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

  13. #12
    10blazin's Avatar
    HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    gorton
    Posts
    3,272
    i had a load of vouchers for selfridges i could of had near enough any tv out of there shop they were all on and out of all the pictures the best out of the lot was a plasma there still better than lcds,,, and the old thing of the of the screens dying or burning has now been almost eradicated anyhow i get a Panasonic 42 inch viera not the digital ready its got to be full digital its got everything you want klauster looks great and the picture is stupidly awesome with dvds with blue ray its ridiculous you want to clime in the screen when i watched David attenborough's EARTH its awesome on top of that i got a 5 year guarantee for free ...really good tv mate i think it was about 1300 quid really worth getting though better picture than any sony toshiba samsung and any others that were there
    Last edited by 10blazin; 8th April 2009 at 17:54.

  14. #13
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by 10blazin View Post
    i had a load of vouchers for selfridges i could of had near enough any tv out of there shop they were all on and out of all the pictures the best out of the lot was a plasma there still better than lcds,,, and the old thing of the of the screens dying or burning has now been almost eradicated anyhow i get a Panasonic 42 inch viera not the digital ready its got to be full digital its got everything you want klauster looks great and the picture is stupidly awesome with dvds with blue ray its ridiculous you want to clime in the screen when i watched David attenborough's EARTH its awesome on top of that i got a 5 year guarantee for free ...really good tv mate i think it was about 1300 quid really worth getting though better picture than any sony toshiba samsung and any others that were there
    I have 2 Sony's and spent ages before buying them, but for me they do everything I want and more, and the sound/picture is the best I have seen, and I've seen lots. Like I say its pretty much down to environment and content, and personal preference. I have the KDL46XZ4500 and the KDL40X3500. The 46'' only has one draw back and thats SD content, its not as good as the 40''. After reading up, im told thats fairly common with most 46''.
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

  15. #14
    abdus's Avatar
    Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    On an Island
    Posts
    1,809
    Quote Originally Posted by klauster View Post
    I have 2 Sony's and spent ages before buying them, but for me they do everything I want and more, and the sound/picture is the best I have seen, and I've seen lots. Like I say its pretty much down to environment and content, and personal preference. I have the KDL46XZ4500 and the KDL40X3500. The 46'' only has one draw back and thats SD content, its not as good as the 40''. After reading up, im told thats fairly common with most 46''.
    yep...SD on the 40" is better than on the 46" (from experience). I thought I was the only one that have used a Bravia for the past 2.5years and still liking it.
    ^^ In my opinion


 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO