Laptop Problem

Wai-Fan

Reaction score
Well I bought a laptop from Hong Kong 2 years ago and last year it decided to die on me. I think it's about time I get around to getting it repaired.

Basically, the screen doesn't seem to work. At first I thought maybe the screen has just died, so I plugged it into an external monitor and still no luck! This led me to believe that the graphics card may of died, but then wouldn't the monitor still work with the onboard gpu on the motherboard?

The laptop still powers on, but it is unusually quiet. I would've thought there would be startup sounds even if it was just the monitor broken. Also, usually to turn it off I would have to press and hold the power button, but it just switchs off straight away when I touch it.

Think I made have explained it weird, so can anyone out there help me????????

It isn't clearing POST. It is stuffed.

The power thing is the result of the laptop hardware not been controlled by the operating system, but by the BIOS. The press and it shutsdown is a operating system override of the Built In Operating System.

It is shot.

If you want a new laptop, Toshiba Tecra A9s are very good. We run 90 at work, and in a full year of use, none have gone faulty, except one which had coffee spilt all over it!

Yeah if you cant get any POST messages or options to enter Bios (Basic Input Output System) then does sound rather dyer, the graphics card is the onboard gpu board soldered/socket fitted anyway so if thats gone big chance neither the internal/external screens wont work, but I've known gpu's as you're speculating to have external side work when internal has failed, also try removing the hard drive as known these to cause posting issues & then it'll say no drive if you get screen, no guarantees but takes things out of the loop, repaired few in my time, remember if its screwed then parts have value aswell mate.

Taken the laptop apart and put it back together, still same thing happening. Does that mean it's dead then? :crying:

Is there any way of repairing it?

As above there can be a few different reasons for this. The hard drive died on my last laptop with these symptoms, to check I put in the hard drive from another laptop and it started up. I brought a new hard drive (not that expensive these days) and the laptop is still working 4 years later, although obviously I have a new one now!

If you do buy a new hard drive don't forget its 2.5" not 3.5".

Tell you what not a bad idea, imagine how many do this huh

You can source a replacement MB from the bay, has it got a plugin graphics board on the MB as you can source one of these aswell & try that 1st, dependent on 2nd user parts cost would make you decide if its worth overall huh

Tell you what not a bad idea, imagine how many do this huh

You can source a replacement MB from the bay, has it got a plugin graphics board on the MB as you can source one of these aswell & try that 1st, dependent on 2nd user parts cost would make you decide if its worth overall huh

I was thinking of trying to get some replacement parts for it, but they seem to be quite impossible to find especially the GPU. I don't really want to waste money on something only to find out that something else is causing the problem.

Might try taking it to a local laptop repair shop and see what they say, but I also don't want them to check it and then tell me something I already know.

Something which has not been mentioned is the removal of the memory module. Usually accessable on the underside of the notebook.

Remove it and listen out for beeps once switched back on. If these aren't immediately apparent then it would be a safe bet that the MB has kapput.

I know you've said you've taken it apart but have you tried the above?

G

doesnt sound a cost effective repair to me, unless it was £2k and the best laptop you have ever had. Just buy a new one, good spec ones with a 2 year warranty for £300 these days!

I had a similar problem with mine. Had to send it to Italy and had a new BIOS chip fitted. Cost £120 including postage, Maybe worth a try..?

Some local guys can do bios for yer aswell for like £20 or so for new chip, but really depends on the MB really & the bios chip, to me sounds like not worth it anyway given prices of the laptops these days, very cheap

I now will have a lovely Toshiba for sale soon, compact & very well spec'd.