Logitech Harmony 1000

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have one of these bad boys for sale, see spec below.

Its in perfect nick, the missus cant use it so I need to swap it for a model with actual buttons on it. Paid about £200, want £150.
Still have everything that came with it and it has been fitted with a screen protector so no marks on the touchscreen at all.

Best thing about this is that you can control anything that accepts IR and it can even be in a different room. I have tucked all my AV kit away in another room out of sight!

The remote control hasn't been around long in the overall scheme of life on Earth, but its evolution over the past thirty years has mirrored that of human kind in an eerily similar way.

From its humble sonic-click hunter-gatherer-like beginnings, the remote has spread steadily like a virus, multiplying in numbers. Once you'd count yourself lucky if you had one. Now living rooms across the globe are drowning in a deluge of them. It can't be long before they start to reproduce - and global meltdown will surely not be far behind.

5805-IMG9562s.jpg

Melodramatic metaphor aside, however, the proliferation of remotes is a growing problem. It's why the universal remote control is an increasingly popular device, and why many manufacturers are beginning to ship remotes with some sort of multi-device capability in the box.
As a technology journalist, I'm afflicted by a particularly virulent strain of remote control plague. At the last count I had seven remotes in, on and around my sofa at home, not counting the stuff that I'm reviewing at the moment - and though not life-threatening it's getting to be a real pain.

5805-IMG9563s.jpg

I'd love a decent universal remote that does away with the need for so many button-festooned slabs of black plastic, but the problem with many of these is that they rarely duplicate your other remotes perfectly. And this means you have to keep the other remotes handy in case you need to access some obscure menu that isn't on your universal unit - or you have to 'teach' them laboriously, button by button, the functions you want.
It's a problem Logitech aims to solve with its Harmony 1000. And it looks to have impressive credentials. The manufacturer claims that it has more than 175,000 products in its remote control database, and these are constantly updated. And because the Harmony 1000 is managed via your PC, this in theory, means that the remote will never go out of date and will always be able to cope with your ever-expanding hi-fi and AV system.

5805-IMG9564s.jpg

It certainly looks and feels the part. It's slim, clad in brushed silver aluminium on the front with blue-backlit buttons, while the rear is rubberised to help you grip it. The remote doesn't just have hardware controls - for common stuff like adjusting volume and changing channel - but also a touch screen so it can emulate the operations of even the most obscure buttons. Other neat touches include a lithium-ion battery, which recharges when you drop it into the supplied cradle, and a motion sensor, which turns the remote on whenever you pick it up.

I'm a harmony veteran fella, do I give an opinion on this or you would rather me not.

depends what it is! I do like it but the missus cannot get the hang of a touchscreen so I'm going to get the lower spec one with the hard buttons.
Can't fault it otherwise.

885 is much better, 895 not worth having for the added RF feature & added cost, plus silver was horrible colour, had them all, the 1000 was beseiged with bugs from the get, maybe they've ironed them out more, but tbh if you're the type to wanna lay down chill & change channels on the fly, then its not for that at all, its not a one handed remote for sure, its more of a show piece on the coffee table, its nice but not that nice, but everyone to there own & I cant knock the actual reason for them, one remote instead of 10, had harmony remotes for years now & couldnt live without it.