SE C905 as proxy server?

Staz

is a retronaut
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Does anyone know much about setting up phones as proxy servers? I know it can be done with the iPhone 3G but can you do it on other phones (specifically the C905 of course)?

The C905 has Wi-Fi so is it possible to share the network on it to my laptop?

I haven't got the phone just yet by the way.

Cheers!

well bluetooth is of course the best way to allow laptop use through phone, never needed setup proxy & I've used number of handsets & all on orange, as for wifi to wifi the phone would need to act as a gateway/access point of some kind to work this way so the laptop can use wifi to connect or you could try manually setting up IP's & point it to the cellphone IP address & then setup proxy on the handset if it has any proxy software of any kind

They might have blocked proxy use as they did on another handset, I think was iphone I read something about a network/apple blocking this kind of use, but they might not know you're using proxies but as all data usage is measured in how much data is transmitted & recieved unless your package includes free net access then yes it will cost you per megabyte aswell, mines got free net use so check your contract, you can usually add this to your package anyway for nothing or an extra few quid or just change the deal to a better one as they want to keep you onboard these days.

well bluetooth is of course the best way to allow laptop use through phone, never needed setup proxy & I've used number of handsets & all on orange, as for wifi to wifi the phone would need to act as a gateway/access point of some kind to work this way so the laptop can use wifi to connect or you could try manually setting up IP's & point it to the cellphone IP address & then setup proxy on the handset if it has any proxy software of any kind

They might have blocked proxy use as they did on another handset, I think was iphone I read something about a network/apple blocking this kind of use, but they might not know you're using proxies but as all data usage is measured in how much data is transmitted & recieved unless your package includes free net access then yes it will cost you per megabyte aswell, mines got free net use so check your contract, you can usually add this to your package anyway for nothing or an extra few quid or just change the deal to a better one as they want to keep you onboard these days.

I installed the disc that came with the phone and it set up the internet connection again so I didn't need to set up the proxies anyway.

The wi-fi idea was wishful thinking. I very much doubt the phone can act as an access point now I think about it. It would have to act as an ad-hoc server wouldn't it?

I have posted on the O2 forum in the hope of some accurate help but so far not much. I have read the T&Cs though, specifically this:

Data Bolt On Terms

* The Web Bolt On allows you unlimited use of Telefónica O2 UK Limited's Edge/GPRS/ 3G networks (as applicable to your handset), for personal internet use via your mobile phone. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:
o in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
o to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
o in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.

If O2 reasonably suspectsyou are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission, remove the Web Bolt On from your account or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.
It doesn't mention the use of laptops whatsoever which I find strange, but indicates to me that it's not a problem. Also there is the statement:

for personal internet use via your mobile phone.
But it doesn't say exclusively.

From what I can tell as long as I don't start downloading the world it's not a problem.

I do 100% have the free unlimited internet bolt on though so it shouldn't cost me a penny.

Thanks for the reply NHN :icon_thumright:

EDIT: Been trying to find that iPhone post. It may have been you and I that were talking then. I had found out you need to jailbreak the iPhone to go online through it.

Anyway I contract started yesterday and I have the following on my bill:

date time source volume (KB) cost allowance
08 Nov 08 16:47:38 wap.o2.co.uk 882 0.850 P
08 Nov 08 17:57:43 mobile.o2.co.uk 29752 0.000 F
Total volume 30,634
Total cost £0.85

I think initially I had to wait until the bolt on was added to my contract, hence the 85p, but obviously most of my surfing yesterday evening was free!

let me know if you get this working as I have an iPhone and am on o2 also.

By the way guys I am using the phone as a gateway no problems. And for free.

I used the term proxy as with an iPhone it's be a proxy.

so you are using your iPhone as a 3G proxy for your laptop?
How?