PC HELP!.WONT OPEN ANY FILES ETC

Mr.Blonde

Reaction score
Hi,My computer is doing my head in!!. :keule:.i cant seem to open internet explorer or itunes and a few other programs!!..the internet does work tho and it takes ages to shut down!..i only have itines and photos on my computer so why is it doing ths???..any help please?....oh im not to tech ith computers to!..cheers

yeah mate.still having probs!.any ideas?....i want to re boot it but i cant open my itunes to copy the files to back up.

Yeah, got a few ideas..

Guess you can get on the internet? Or have you got more then one machine?

If you can get on the internet, download the following files:

HijackThis
McAfee Stinger
Lavasoft Adaware

Try running Stinger and Adaware whilst in windows, and download any updates as per the applications recommendations.

If you are unable to run them, then reboot into safe mode.

I am presuming you have Windows XP?

If so:
  • Close all open programs.
  • Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK
  • The System Configuration Utility appears, On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and Restart your computer when prompted.
  • The computer restarts in Safe mode.
Once you have booted into safe mode, run HijackThis and save the log file.

Run Stinger and let it do a complete scan, do the same thing with Adaware.

Once done boot back into full windows:

To use the System Configuration Utility method
  • Close all open programs.
  • Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK
  • on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK to restart your computer
Now, post the HijackThis log results on this thread and I will have a look for anything which shouldn't be there.

Hopefully the Stinger and Adaware will remove anything preventing you from opening your files.

Cheers
Mike

im going to try this tonight,im not to hot with computeres tho,well doing this type of thing.it wont shut down etc by useing the start tho?..i have to shut it down buy using alt+cltrl+del??..

Yeah use Ctrl+alt+del or just press and release the power button, this should also initiate a shutdown.

Let me know how you get on.

Good luck!

hi mate,i did try this last night.but when i got to this stage..Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK.nothing happened??..same prob as im having with my other programs.you click on them and nothing happens.

98, xp, vista???

You can manually go to the itunes folder in my documents & copy the tunes to a backup device, thats if windows explorer is working ok, do a ctrl alt delete & go to processes tab in task manager, click on the column for cpu which puts the listed items in order of usage & see if anything is hogging a large cpu percentage & also do the same for memory column, cause trying to do any of these will take forever if a program is hogging processing power, some updates from MS or program install/update can cause these issues where it hogs cpu at 99% & wont go anywhere quick if at all, have you done any updates, installs changes recently.

AVG antivirus is free aswell which is good to have running as has multiple tools, I've tried them all & this seems to be the best to use for free anyway at the moment for home use.

I personally would goto my documents, highlight everything, click edit at top & select copy, then goto the backup device folder/drive & click edit at top & select paste so it backs up your documents folder which from what I can see if your main usage location for files as most are.

Then do some things to resolve it if it allows you to do this of course, cause then with luck your important files are protected on the backup device.

When you initially switch on your PC it will go through several stages before it boots to windows, just after the first screen (POST) is displayed and before the scrolling windows logo you can press F8 to get to the boot menu, from there you can select Safe Mode.

Once in safe mode try MsConfig again. Select the Startup tab and untick all the boxes then try a reboot. You can't change anything in there which will cause major issues..

Once your back in windows, try downloading the programs as above post.

Use the McAfee stinger before installing AVG, as many viruses are capable of preventing a complete install of AV products which cas cause even more issues.

Cheers

its windows xp mate.how do i know what to delete but using the alt+ctrl+del?..on the colum for cpu??..it keeps changing data to.so can i copy my itunes to a memory stick,then just re-boot my computer and just start it all again fresh??

buy doing this mike.will i lose anything on my computer?..all my photos are saved on cd.just dont want to lose me itunes records!.

if your doing a scan for viruses etc always do it in safe mode, gives a better clean and scan

Sorry for the delay, no you dont stand to loose anything!

As long as you dont try a reinstall or format.

Cheers