MACBOOK!

danotto

VAG HUNTER
Reaction score
Right i have recently bought a new macbook 2.4ghz 160gb 13.3in screen blah blah,dunno why i bought one i think i just wanted a change from a pc,didnt realise how expensive macbooks are though,gulp.but basically ive never used a mac before and am a bit lost in using it,any tips for using one or sites for useful little downloads etc would be appreciated,cheers guys dan

welcome to the macbook,

i have one, top bit of kit but very anoying when your trying to install software.

Tip 1, tap 2 fingers on the track pad is your right click

Tip 2, cmd plus Q will quit the window your working on

Tip 3, cmd plus T, will open a new tap in your internet browser

Tip 4, ctrl, alt, delete is - cmd, alt and esc

Tip 5, 2 fingers on trackpad will scroll up and down on your window

cheers dude,the only other things i found out recently was cmd+ c then cmd+v =copy and paste,lol

I must admit its an excellent bit of kit unbelivably quick,just trying to figure out how to use garage band stuff,lol.i have tried to make music but sounds like a 5 year old on a piano.lol

Welcome to the world of the Mac! Been using them for about 4 years now, and think they're fab!

Just wanted to clear up one of the points above:

welcome to the macbook,

Tip 2, cmd plus Q will quit the window your working on

cmd/splodge/apple q will quit the **entire application**, whereas

cmd/splodge/apple w will close the **current window.**

It's important to understand the difference between these two, as it's the most major difference between Mac and PC.

Take iTunes, for example. If you're playing music in iTunes, cmd q will quit iTunes and stop the music. Cmd w will close the window that's open, but the music will stay playing as the application itself is still running :)

The little dots under the icons in the dock signify which applications are running regardless of whether they have windows open or not. This is useful to know because if you leave Word, Safari, iTunes, MSN etc. running but without windows, you may start to wonder why it's running slowly :)

Just incase you haven't worked it out yet, F12 opens up the dashboard where you can have lots of widgets. These are little programs for little tasks; I have a calendar, got dilbert, whoopee cushion, converter, weather forecaster, itunes artwork labeler etc.

If you need to run vagcom, you can install windows using apples boot camp (in your utilities folder) and have a dual boot machine.