Mac or Dell PC for business use

TDI-line

Uber Post Whore
Reaction score
Hi guys,

i'm just after some advice on the following..

I am setting up a heating and plumbing company, so will be mobile based, i have signed up to BT ring central so i can have a uniformed 0844 number and this can also route any numbers and acts a fax too.

BT ring central is not MAC based yet.

http://www.ringcentral.bt.com/fax

I also will be using SAGE, as my accountant uses this, and it simplifies things. Again, not MAC based.

I would love the new IMAC, but then would i have to buy a copy of an OS of Windows, and a parallel running program for the MAC.

Or do i make things simple and get another decent specced Dell PC which will run these things.

At present i have a MacBook Pro for my own use, and a 4 year old Dell.

Also what's all this Intel Quad core stuff?

Are you going to be exchanging a lot of data with suppliers etc? Will this be .pdf, or are there some specific applications you could think of using? If you're going to be dealing with others then I'd stick with dell just as the interfacing is far easier. If you're stand alone then all the computers are realistically far overspecced for what you really need, so go for what you really want.

Id stick with the dell too unless you were doing summat mac specific... and by the sounds of it you are doing the opposite.

Am a mac user to, but when it comes to businesses your best bet is to use windows on a pc,

even tho you can put windows on a mac not everything will run it the way you want with 3rd part applications.

I would stick with the Dell, just for ease of use and compatability with other business associates, also from a support point of view, i would say you would most probably be able to get alot more Windows support than Mac.

Personally I would stick with Dell alos. MAC's are great but for normal office/company work the Dell will be the better bet and cheaper...

Oh, is there any reason to get a blu-ray driver other than to watch BR films on the pc?

blu-ray driver will read blu ray discs.

you might need a blu ray writer which will enable more storage on blu ray discs

go for a quad core :)

Thanks Abdus.

Looking at a very high spec Dell 420 XPS, with quad cord processor Q9400 2.6ghz, 1333mhz and Graphics 1GB ATI Radeon 3870 X2 graphics card. Hopefully will be ok.

Also found a discount promotion on-line, so can save 10%. He he.

try this code at checkout (dell website):

W2N3KTH5ZLW3M8

not sure when it expires though. It's a 10% discount coupon