Netgear EVA8000 Media Player

or you could just buy a TV out/HDMI out graphics card!!

Personally i'd built a multi media PC with a 1tb hdd, and stick that under the tV etc. job done. but thats just me. you can then network that and control and PC in the house!

Mmm, one of these Netgear AV streaming devices is only £145. How much is a whole shebang media pc gonna cost to build, especially with an HDMI card? And the only thing I'd use it for is to play music and videos, so seems a waste to have a whole pc to just do that. I have a laptop to use as a pc if I want to in the lounge, which leaves the tv free to be a tv, and if I just HAVE to surf the internet on my 42" tv screen, I can just use my Wii. So, a media pc is a non-starter personally, whereas a cheap device to stream media content from my NAS is perfect.
Anybody else?

I looked at this as from what I can see its the best way of sending video from a pc to a tv somewhere else in the house. Given the cost factor though I decided simply to plug my laptop into my tv and access my pc upstairs over my home network, total cost was 99p for a cable with a 3.5mm jack at either end for the sound! You may not be getting HD quality or 5.1 dolby sound but its still excellent quality wise imo playing on my 40" Sony Bravia w-series. If your a "knock-off Nigel" and playing downloaded .avi files your not trying to watch HD quality anyway!! Save yourself the dosh & just plug your laptop into your tv, try it at least, if you dont get on then get the Netgear streamer!

I have a freecom media player that work well, does what I want it to which is normally watch heros, lost etc from the states.

I have one , there very good for streaming films and pictures from my desk top to TV.

Pretty easy to set up.
Easy to use.
Look good in the AV rack.
No wires.

I would recommend if you have enough films/TV series on your PC to make it worth while , or your a knock off Nigel :ninja:

p

Well, I've taken the plunge and bought one. First impressions are good, a doddle to set up, and does what it says on the tin. I've not got any movies, but I've got loads of video that I've taken myself (went a bit mad with the arrival of our 1st baby recently), so it's nice to be able to watch that on the tv, rather than on the pc monitor in the loft. I'll mostly be using it for mp3's(I've got over 4000 mp3's), and for internet radio (i'm south african, so it's nice to listen to my old radio stations from back home, and get opposite biased commentary on the rugby/cricket etc). Music was always a bit of a pain as I only have a single cd player, but the EVA8000 makes it a breeze to browse my albums and create a custom playlist with as many songs as I want. All in all, I'm a happy bunny, so thanks for the advice guys.