Advice - Mounting an 46" LCD tv on the wall

john_cook

I was the STIG.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

just after some advice on fixing an LCD tv to the wall. Is a solid exterior wall so can take the weight. Few questions...

1)Do I need to check some VESA number or can I just buy a universal mount??

2) Should I get a cantilever one or standard one?? (just thinking about access to plug wires in back but want it mounted quite close to wall and not sticking out loads)

3) who can I get to install it?? Eg. builder? (am not gonna risk putting it up and see my tv come crashing down!)

thanks..

i have mounted mine my self..... i used the hang off it test... if it can take 14 stone of me then it can hold my tv. just make sure its screwed up proppa!!

universal mounts are ok.. they will have a max weight limit on the box. just check it with the weight of ya tv. tis all i did over a year ago and the tvs still there!!

:)

If your handy enough at DIY this is simple enough. Call into your local hardware store and get proper wall fixings. If you tell them the weight of the t.v and type of wall it's being fixed too, they should be able to advise you.

And make sure you have a mate to help you lift the t.v onto the bracket, and maybe a 2nd mate to bolt it too the bracket while you hold it.

I used a load of rawbolts for my 42" Plasma and again the hang test, if you can hang off the bracket the TV isn't going anywhere.

Paul

yeah, arms are pretty simple things to fit...

Ive found many times tho with some of the universal ones that its a pain to get all the wires into their slots... due to differences in how the cables meet the back of the tv... so look out for that one.