AH FabricationsChris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

HELP - WINDOWS 2000 problem

Hi I recently bought a used laptop and the account was locked out by admin - I tried a password change disk from the net but on restart I got the following message on starting windows. I have tried safe mode to no effect, and I don't have a windows 2000 bootable CD. I tried a windows 2000 boot disk (on 4 floppies), but it kept asking me for admin password which I don't have!

Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
    Error Status: 0xc0000001.
    Please click OK to shut down this system and reboot into Safe Mode, check event log for more detailed information.

Can anyone help please, I've searched on the net but not found a solution! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: HELP - WINDOWS 2000 problem

You can use ERD Commander or a Linux Boot disk to get around the "lost" admin password.

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor
    EBCD Emergency Boot CD

1st Gear

Status

Tried to download those but couldn't find them on net, but that doesn't solve the errors I'm getting and I can't log into the PC without fixing that first! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

Booting off a Linux disk should be ok, if not just use linux to flatten the disk and start all over again.

1st Gear

Status

Ok will try and get that disk, but now the machine just boots up to a black screen saying there is disk in the drive when there isn't! Do you know how to use linux and what I need to do in order to reinstall windows? The only windows disk I have is the windows XP re-installation CD which came with my desktop - will that suffice?

1st Gear

Status

I guess you've seen the following MS Technet document TECHNET it tells you how to repair the problem but it isn't easy (even using Linux). I think the best method will be for you to borrow a Win2K or XP disk and reinstall it all a fresh. If your desktop pc XP disc is full microsoft one, and not a Dell/Compaq restore disk then it will do the job.

Just format the hard disk and do a complete re-install.

2nd Gear

Status

Dont use Linux, there is a tool that i used to gain access into a windows 2000 professional pc.

You will need a burner

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

let me know if this was any help.

1st Gear

Status

Thanks for all your help guys - problems sorted now, after fixing the SAM problem I just re-formatted the drive and installed XP! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    MingBluS3 said:
    Dont use Linux, there is a tool that i used to gain access into a windows 2000 professional pc.

You will need a burner

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to tell you, but the 'Offline NT Password & Registry Editor' is Linux, thats why I recommended it in my first post above [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Anyhow well done on getting the problem sorted - Microsoft has a lot to answer for [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif[/img]