best connection

johnyj

Reaction score
have got the very rare hddvd (i know but what u ganna do) and want to go through my comp then to the lcd.
problem is ive got three different ways of doin it
dvi
vga
and network direct to the lcd
which would b better for picture and sound?
thanks

Am I right in thinking it wouldn't make a difference - the HD DVD should be a digital signal, not analogue, so it's either a there or not?

DVI is the highest quality picture it's fully digital...but it doesn't carry sound.
So you'll need to use DVI + Optical / Digital Co-Ax for digital multi-channel sound...or DVI + RCAs for analogue sound.

This will depend on what inputs you have on the PC.

Ideally, you'd need to post what output conections you have on your HD DVD, inputs & outputs on your PC and inputs on the LCD, to best suggest the highest possible signal paths to use.

tv has coaxal ethernet usb vga hdmi and composite hd
hd dvd has usb its an xbox model
comp has dvi and vga but only stereo output

By comp, you mean computer?
Do you need to go through your PC?

I'd have thought going straight to the TV would have given better results.

But...

You say the HD DVD has USB...so you are connecting this to your PC?

Can't you use it through the XBox to use the XBox outputs? (HDMI/Component etc)

But if it is coming from your PC and you only have those connections available, you should use the DVI output from your PC to the TVs HDMI imput using a DVI/HDMI adaptor and use the Phono stereo putputs from your PC to the HDMI/DVI input dedicated for use with a DVI adaptor, as DVI doesn't carry sound.

only reason is the xbox fans are 2 noisy when watchin movies and thought i could connect using the pc and also use my sony phone with remote to watch other movies from computer
if using the dvi is it better to get a converter to hdmi or just dvi to hdmi lead ?

Go straight from the XBox to the Tv...and turn the volume up!
Use a DVI-HDMI lead, or an HDMI lead with an adaptor...your choice.
And use the Phono (RCA) stereo sockets from XBOX to TV to give you the sound...as you don't say if your TV accepts optical or digital co-ax inputs...or what the XBox outputs.