Plusnet Broadband

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Has anyone here used this company for Broadband services? Need to know if they are any good.
Currently trying to sort out a new ISP for myself at work, only need it to surf/browse, MSN, email and the occasional streaming of video files, no downloading needed.
Anyone else with a better or cheaper suggestion I would like to know, I've also done some research on Newnet service aswell, but they want a £40 activation charge. It's a BT line also, and I don't have access to Cable/Virgin at my workplace.

I'm with PlusNet and have been for 4/5 months without any problems. I also get twice the speed that I got with Tiscali. It's also a 1 month contract, so it's not hard to get out of if you do have problems.
They also sent me a free xbox360 game and invited me to a gaming day in Sheffield although I didn't go as it's not my thing. It does demonstrate good customer relations though.
They also have a recommend a friend scheme so let me know if you go with them.
I've also used zen who were fine, but I got sick off paying for extra bandwith all the time as I was only on a 2 gb bundle. Would be OK for you though if not downloading!

Is the £40 charge with Newnet for migration or new line?

I've been a reseller of PlusNet for many years now and can whole heartedly recommend them. Indeed they are the only provider I recommend to my Customer base. They offer a huge range of extras that other providers almost always charge you for. You may not use them but they are there if you need them. Be aware that , as with most providers these days, it is a capped service and you pay for a limited download bandwidth but they have bands that suit nearly everyone. You say you just need general browsing with email so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem even on their entry level broadband package. You can change packages once a month anyway.

They have the advantage of being a big company with lots of redundancy built into their network so down time is almost non existent. They are however, still small enough to offer good technical support should you ever need it. You are never left feeling like just another customer as you are with BT and their support.

So to sum up. A very competitively price and feature rich package with very good connectivity and substantial hardware to back up their service.

I'd recommend them !

Thanks for the feedback chaps, sounds a good deal then, I was thinking of going for the 3GB capped monthly pay service, as 1GB seems too little, I just know I'm going to exceed it. I'm also looking into using wireless broadband with Vodaphone with 3G, that's £15 per month if you have a vodaphone contract, but it's also capped.

3.2 Ju said:
Is the £40 charge with Newnet for migration or new line?

This is the fee for new line, it would have been free if I was migrating, Plusnet offers free connection, but I have to stay with them for 12 months, if I leave anytime before, I will be billed for the £40 line connection I believe.

I've been with PlusNet Broadband since 2002. Avoid like the plague; terrible customer service, slow speeds, unreasonable bandwidth constraints and regular downtime to boot.

If I wasn't such a lazy ********, I'd change to someone, anyone other than the cretins from Sheffield.

golf said:
I've been with PlusNet Broadband since 2002. Avoid like the plague; terrible customer service, slow speeds, unreasonable bandwidth constraints and regular downtime to boot.
I agree 100%.

I used to be with PlusNet until about a year ago, and they were appalling. Slow and erratic performance, dreadful incompetent customer service - even rivalling the old NTL for incompetence I would say. At one stage, one of their monkeys managed to delete the entire contents of their mail server, and they had no backup !! Idiots !

They were finally taken over by BT and the management sacked, so they may be better now.

But if you want a first class ISP, go to IDNet.
They offer a fast reliable service, and superb customer service.
Check out the relative ratings of a few ISPs on www.thinkbroadband.com and you will get the picture.

mfspen said:
But if you want a first class ISP, go to IDNet.
They offer a fast reliable service, and superb customer service.
Check out the relative ratings of a few ISPs on www.thinkbroadband.com and you will get the picture.

Interesting, so mixed views then, I use Cable/Virgin at home, but can't get where I work, due to the 5m distance there is from the cable to my shop front, they need to dig tarmac to get a line to me, which = not cost effective lol.

I will have a butchers at the link supplied in a bit - thanks.

Id like to recommend PlusNet on the fact that they sponsor my footie team, but they suck(ed). When I had it my neighbours (both ways) were getting way more impressive speeds than I was... and the customer service base that I spoke to seemed to have little knowledge about the intricate workings of Internet and its/my setup.
Not exactly impressive prices when you take into account data limits.

BUT,

I guess it comes down to the area you live in and the options you have for connection. Good luck tho..

I have an account with eclipse.. which I heard load of bad things about and they have been fine. Saying that tho, I can mostly look after myself and monitor anything I need to online... so dont need to speak to CS people.

Just an update on this, I ended up getting Vodafone Mobile Connect @£15 p/m so I'm now 100% wireless anywhere in the UK with 3.6meg speed. I managed to get the wireless dongle for free buy going for an 18month contract and the DL limit is 3GB which is more than enough for my needs. Brought it this afternoon, and connected online within 20 minutes, speed feels quicker than my home VirginCable connection I'm pleased to say, with 3/5bars 3G signal, and the package includes a monitor to show usage which is handy.