How to empty an iPod

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Quick question, hope someone can help.

I've just sold an iPod on Ebay, and am shipping it tomorrow. Do I have to empty it of the music I have stored on it (and if so, how do I do that?) , or will that happen automatically when the new owner plugs it into her PC & synches it with her stored music files?

To empty your iPod, follow these steps:

Open iTunes and connect your iPod to your PC.
Click your iPod in the Source List of iTunes.
Click any song that appears in the main part of the iTunes window (to the right).
From the Edit menu, choose Select All.
Important: This step will delete all music from your iPod. If you have been using automatic update, you don’t need to worry, because all your music is also on your computer. If you have not been using automatic update, and your iPod has music on it from another source (other than your iTunes library), following this step will delete that music. Press Delete on the keyboard. If you see a message that says "Are you sure you want to remove the selected items from the list?", click Yes.

its been a while since i used an iPod but when i gave mine to my sister I just plugged it into her computer and it reformatted it and uploaded her library. the apple web site is normally quiet helpful have a look http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/