Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lcd or plasma

Neutral

Status
    We got a Sony Bravia 40" LCD out of Tesco's for £599 and more than happy with it, a friend of mine has both plasma and LCD (hes a single guy!!) and he recons that a plasma was much more warmer colours than the LCD with is quite dynamic colours although he said that there is a chance of burn on a plasma if you play games on them for hours on end or leave it on pause.
    1995 Audi A4 1.8 Laser red

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sherlock
    We got a Sony Bravia 40" LCD out of Tesco's for 599 and more than happy with it, a friend of mine has both plasma and LCD (hes a single guy!!) and he recons that a plasma was much more warmer colours than the LCD with is quite dynamic colours although he said that there is a chance of burn on a plasma if you play games on them for hours on end or leave it on pause.
    not 1080p compatible though as its the old model
    2001 Audi S3 l MTM Remap l 252.7bhp 432.4Nm l Forge 007P l ECS Porsche Stage 2v2 Front Brake Set-up l ECS Stage 1 Rear Brake Set-up l 18" RS4 Alloy Wheels

6th Gear

Status
    I know the Kuro's are acknowledged as being the best around but having seen screen burn in all it's horrible horribleness, the latest being on an 8 month old TV, I still wouldn't touch plasma with a 40' pole.
    I would go for the next best LCD instead.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Moisty
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    I know the Kuro's are acknowledged as being the best around but having seen screen burn in all it's horrible horribleness, the latest being on an 8 month old TV, I still wouldn't touch plasma with a 40' pole.
    I would go for the next best LCD instead.
    I wouldn't touch an LCD with a 40' pole, not unless your screen size was under 40".

My Pioneer plasma certainly out performs the Bravia LCD that my neighbour owns. He was gutted when he bought his Sony and then saw mine! The picture on the Pioneer is so superior. I have also never suffered from the dreaded screen burn issue. Mine is now 12 months old and still as crisp and clear as they day I installed it.

Anyway, you will always get differing opinions on this subject and the only way to find out what is best for the indivual is to get out there and do the research in the shops!

alphamail

Status
    I've got both plasma and lcd and they are both good for different things. The plasma is so much warmer and has more depth. the lcd is brilliant for gaming and has a more clinical and precise feel.

Moisty
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamail
    I've got both plasma and lcd and they are both good for different things. The plasma is so much warmer and has more depth. the lcd is brilliant for gaming and has a more clinical and precise feel.

Wouldn't argue with that description!

Shakersville

Status
    If you set them up right[standard settings are cr@p] and run them in, the Panasonics do not suffer screen burn (some short image retention can happen from a long playing static game screen but that goes after a few seconds) .

I have a 42 Panasonic plasma, xbox 360 combination + a nine year old son who is a 360 freak with no problems.
    My dad has got a 2year old Panasonic 26 LCD that nearly put me off LCD for life.

But things have moved on I have just bought a 32 LCD Panasonic for the bedroom and I am very impressed.
    If I could only have one it would be the plasma but now I could quite happily live with an LCD & I would not have said that 2 years ago.

3rd Gear

Status
    If your looking for independent reviews etc, try here:

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/
    1999 S4, MIJ Performance exhaust with 100 cell cats

3rd Gear

Status
    Another thing to bear in mind is that some screens move the pixels around slightly to prevent screen burn. good for games.
    1999 S4, MIJ Performance exhaust with 100 cell cats

Neutral

Status
    I'll chuck this one is as it hasn't been mentioned PHILIPS LCD either the full 1080 - which Currys I think are doing a 37inch fro around the money you going to spend or a 720.

I had a slight accident with my last one while wall mounting it - lots of swearing etc.

But went last week to see if in my opinion that Philips Picture quality is still superb, and it is. So a new 42 inch Philips LCD being delivered Thurday. (and my brother coming to help me wall mount it

Neutral

Status
    Did the wall mount myself (totally bricking it) - took 4 hours to secure the bracket (42" Panasonic) onto the chimney breast and 30 seconds to mount the tv.

Hope it went well yesterday RedSportBack.

On Boost

Status
    For 800 pound you can get a very good 1080p lcd tv.

You wont get a good 1080p plasma for that money!

Rule of thumb seems to be anything over 40" go for plasma!

p

6th Gear

Status
    Pioneer have just pulled out of the plasma market too.
    Look here.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    Pioneer have just pulled out of the plasma market too.
    Look here.
    Some more info here :
    http://whathifi.com/television/archi...ownmarket.aspx

I had an interesting demo recently of the Pioneer 42" Kuro fed via HDMI from a Sky HD box. The pictures were indeed excellent, both on SD and HD. They had a Sharp LCD alongside, and that looked terrible.

The guy in the shop then went and got one of the new 37" Full-HD Panasonic LCDs (TX37LZD70, I think) from the store room and set that up. It was brilliant. It matched the Pioneer for colour rendition, but was noticeably sharper on HD material. The black levels were not quite as good as the Pioneer, but it is the best LCD I have ever seen, and by some margin. Much better viewing angle than Sony/Samsung too.

AUDI OWNER

Status
    Pioneer Plasma 42" 427-XD with digital tuners. RULES!!! I got mine and i re4alised why they say pioneer produces the best plasma. now there is the new 50" plasma with 1080p

1st Gear

Status
    I work for a company that install lcd & plasma's,All the different make's we deal with,We mainly fit pioneer or panasonic (that say's something).I would say up to 32" lcd is better picture and 37" or larger plasma is load better.But every body as a different taste.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]2010 Audi A4 2.0 TDI S line Exec, Misano Red, AMI, Phone & Voice Prep Bluetooth, CD Changer, DAB, 19" Alloys, Black Pack, Alcantara Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Start Stop, White LED Mod, Tints.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12