Broadband help

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have not yet setup any internet of phoneline at my flat. I just use the net at my parents or uni.

I see some services are unlimited and some have a download limit of say 30 or 40GB. How much would I require you think? Is that just downloading songs etc or viewing pages?

I dont think I will need anything superfast I would just need something cheap.

Is TalkTalk the cheapest?

Cheers.

Hi Soupie, The best package is based entirely on what you require. Use http://www.webuser.co.uk/bandwidthcalculator.php to work out your useage per month and then shop around based upon what you require. I'm currently with plusnet @21.99 per month unlimited download 8MB line. I've recently signed up my dad to the same company @ 9.99 per month with a 1GB download and 8MB line.

There are loads about
If you have sky you can use them and get it free, but they are victims of their own success and take a while to install it, and they have download limits.
There is Virgin where yo can get mobile and broadband for £20 or broadband - phone - and get tv free for £20 no limits or some of their packages its £4.50 a month for the broadband
TalkTalk is only free if you change your home phone to them and then its still only free for 12-of 24 months i cant remember.
And i think there is one called eclipse which is £14 or there about with no limits

30GB = 6000 songs from iTunes per month
I'm on 20GB and that's with 2 of us using it for work all day long. Never get anywhere near the limit.
If you have Sky then you can get 2MB broadband free, with a 2GB limit, perfectly fine for most peoples needs, (unless you're downloading movies of course).

try the carphone warehouse, at 19.99 a month you get a free laptop, im waiting for mine to be delivered:icon_thumright:

Another plug for PlusNet :icon_thumright:

Good service, UK help centre, good prices... and if you follow the link from my web page... 20p per month for me (and then you can recommend your friends and family and get the price of your own reduced too!!)

I'd be careful with both Sky & Talk Talk - very poor customer service, and long contracts (esp Talk Talk I believe) As somebody said, victims of their own success - swamped!

If you don't like Plus Net you leave - no contract.

As for useage, even the ones that say unlimited aren't - trust me, it's in the T&C's somewhere - maybe called fair usage, but it's there.

Oh, nearly forgot - they now do a reasonable home phone deal too - cheaper for me than BT. (BT now own them by the way, but no drop in standards, seem to be leaving them alone :yes: )

If you can get it in your area "Be*" are great.

£14 per month for 8Mb speed (and unlimited downloads - no fair use policy) or £18 month for upto 24Mb speed. Free wireless router too!

I've been using them for about 4 months now - no problems at all - and I do get the full 8Mb download speed.

If you go thru quidco you'll get £55 cashback too when you signup. (search for bethere within quidco)

Try 3mobile broadband instead.

No need for a landline, you can use it whenever and wherever you like.

£25 a month and the dongle is free, just plug and play.

7gb bandwidth limit on the £25 a month but to be honest, i play online games, download and watch movies online but i rarely get anywhere near 7gb (closest i got was 3.7gb!)

Definitely worth looking into!

Try 3mobile broadband instead.

No need for a landline, you can use it whenever and wherever you like.

£25 a month and the dongle is free, just plug and play.

7gb bandwidth limit on the £25 a month but to be honest, i play online games, download and watch movies online but i rarely get anywhere near 7gb (closest i got was 3.7gb!)

Definitely worth looking into!

I'm using Vodafone Internet Dongle @£15 p/m and got the dongle for free, but it's capped at 3gb d/l limit p/m.