Badger5JMB Retrofits
    3rd Gear

Status

CD Burner Advice

I finally need to buy a CD Burner for my laptop, it is a Compaq with 160mb RAM and running Windows 98. It only has a free USB port a the method of connection and I want to spend up to 150.Mainly for Audio with the odd backup data CD. It obviously must be an external drive!

My consideration list
    Philips JackRabbit 24x12x40x/USB/External around 105
    Freecom Portable II 40x12x40x/USB/External around 130
    Freecom FX-1 24x10x40x/USB/External around 105
    Lite-On LXR-40122A 40x12x40x/USB/External around 105

What do you guys think and what suggestions for burners and software do you guys reccomend??

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status

Re: CD Burner Advice

[ QUOTE ]
    Moresauce said:
    I finally need to buy a CD Burner for my laptop, it is a Compaq with 160mb RAM and running Windows 98. It only has a free USB port a the method of connection and I want to spend up to 150.Mainly for Audio with the odd backup data CD. It obviously must be an external drive!

My consideration list
    Philips JackRabbit 24x12x40x/USB/External around 105
    Freecom Portable II 40x12x40x/USB/External around 130
    Freecom FX-1 24x10x40x/USB/External around 105
    Lite-On LXR-40122A 40x12x40x/USB/External around 105

What do you guys think and what suggestions for burners and software do you guys reccomend??

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only ever had bad experiences with Philips stuff, so I would avoid that, but I'm sure other people would say the Philips stuff is OK... Horses for courses really...

As far as software is concerned, Nero, Nero, Nero. It's brill, and will do everything you could ever want [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Nero Website

Cheers

Alex.

1st Gear

Status

Morning Moresauce!
    If you still have those disc cards I gave you E-mail Tim at bluechip multimedia, say George sent you for a deal, and tell him what you want, He sells at trade to friends!
    Also he knows his stuff and Never Never shies away from a challenge! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

3rd Gear

Status

Thanks guys will do a bit of research. GTDog those cards where excellent and I contact that guy when I get back from skiing to see if he can sort me out!

1st Gear

Status

When an actor goes on stage it is customary to wish them well with the phrase "Break a leg", with boating "sink the bugger" is often muttered before departing as a sure way of wishing the best of luck and the favor of whatever god may be listening.
    So with the best of intentions my big Sister says I should wish you to fall off a mountain!
    Have a good time!

Neutral

Status

Moresauce, check this link Scan.co.uk They have the liteon CD Writer on special today (today only)

Neutral

Status

I have just read a review on the philips jackrabbit... it seems this is more than just a simple external CD/RW, it also allows you to watch DVD movies on your TV or PC and even includes remote control... tasty...