Printers

Reaction score
Hey folks I am thinking of getting a new printer as my current one is pants.

Anyone got any recomendations? Also can you get wireless printers now so I dont have to plug my laptop into it?

all in one?

the printer i was looking at was the HP C7180. Its the top of the range hp all-in-one that has wireless. non wireless multifunctions were a dealbreaker for me, but so was the 7180 as it costs 270 quid.
The canon pixma mp9xx (cant remember) was the superior printer, but didnt have wireless...

lexmark have a new range with wireless out now, but i've not re-done my research since those came out.

I dont need many functions really. Will just be to print word documents and would rather have wireless as then can be hidden away.

Some printers have bluetooth or IR but not heard of a wireless one yet, also if there were one, you would have to connect to it Ad-hoc and this would disconnect you from your wireless internet.

I can print to my Epson R300 wirelessly as it connects to my ADSL router, the router acts as a network print server and then I have a WAP.

If you want to connect wirelessly, the best thing for you to do (assuming you have broadband) is get something like a Draytek 2800G which has wireless and a print server built in, then you can use any USB printer wirelessly. And they are a great router too.

I havent heard of a wireless printer yet either.

Are you after a colour or black and white?
What sort of sheets per min's are you looking for?
Whats your budget?

Wireless printers have been out for awhile now, and are a godsend if you need to share the device or use a laptop. Bluetooth basically just doesn't work, and IR was always a last resort.
For a basic colour printer with wireless built in try the HP deskjet 6980
http://www.dabs.com/ProductList.asp...y=All&PageMode=3&NavigationKey=0&SearchType=1
Comes with both wired ethernet and wireless 802.11g/b
It also has optional grey in cartridge which is a must if you want to print proper black & white photo's - silver halide qulity.
Lexmark/Dell printers are the worst printers on the market, fine if you want to chuck them away when the ink runs out but hopeless for anything else. Lexmark recently came 6th in a survey on worst brands in the UK. This wasn't just a printer survey, it was across every brand on all products, Lloyds TSB came top IIRC. Lexmark also get consistent C-D rating on the annual PC User reliability survey. HP has received A+ for the last 12 years.
Also don't be tempted to use 3rd party supplies in HP inkjet printers, most inkjet cartridges contain the printheads, the printheads dictate the quality, 3rd party cartridges use secondhand printheads, thus shyte quality. Go online and buy HP originals at 3rd party prices, never ever buy them from high street retailers unless you're desperate.

Yep - we've got an HP6980 with both ethernet and wireless connectivity. Print quality is really excellent for the money, but the whole wireless thing works a bit intermitently and can be a pain - although of course maybe it just isn't set up right and the Belkin router we have is a bit cr*p. When it works, it is great. Ended up hardwiring the printer to the router via the ethernet connection so now our computers can connect to it (wirelessly) most of the time. Even the print cartidge seems to last. Agree entirely with AndyMac - HP are great, reliable printers.