Wireless Router Signal Problem

axelfols

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know a way to boost a wireless router signal as i seem to lose connection and even though i'm in the next room my signal always appears as low or very low. Its a belkin router if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Are you using wireless B or G? G is faster but B has a beter range. Might be worth checking what your using, you may be able to switch to B if speed isnt an issue, B is still fast but just not as quick as G. The signal is also affected by things that get in its way. A friend of mine bought all the wireless gear to set up a network a while back and couldnt get any signal at all just down their house being realy old and having very thick walls and lots of wiring in the way of the signal. You may be able to get a booser or high gain areal which will improve the signal.

What kind of wireless card you using in your PC? If its USB and just pluged into the back of the PC you could allways get a USB hub and place it somewhere a bit more strategic so theres less interference between that PC and the router.

axelfols - do you have a wireless TV signal sender in the house? (or your neighbours?)

These have been known to kill wireless internet signals - if you have one, try switching it off to see if that fixes it...

If not, try experimenting with different channels.

belkin are notoriously crap, I have a belkin WAP and its range is not too clever. Try Linksys, they're better

I would switch the channel in the wireless config if it's still the default .. maybe change to say channel 3 ... and reboot and try again .,..