Garmin Nuvi 300 or Tom Tom One??

guyl

Reaction score
Hello good people!

I've been looking about at different sat navs for a bit now and i think i have narrowed it down to the the above two.

The TT is only £5 more, what would you suggest?
If you have had experience using either, would you recommend?

I particularly like the size of the Nuvi, but the TT seems to be better supported with add ons etc

All comments appreciated! :salute:

If you don't already have a hands-free set-up, the Nuvi 310 comes with a very good bluetooth set-up and the sat-nav itself is excellent, better than the TomTom IMO - faster satellite acquisition, faster recalculation, simpler interface.

The new Tomtom One (new edition) is a brilliant bit of kit and can be had for under £180

It's extremely easy to use, clear instructions and very quick to calculate routes and to find satalites.

It's also got a nice neat mount.

J.

Thanks for the comments, I plumped for the Nuvi in the end, the maps seemed to be more highly rated than the TT ones, plus it is a nicer smaller package.
One thing, i have installed a bunch of POIs, and sometimes they are not shown on the map, any idea why?
:cold:

no idea but i noticed the same with mine? did you go for the 310 with the bluetooth connection?

No i plumped for the 300 poverty spec!:blownose:
I didnt think it was worth the extra £80 or so for BT, i am more than happy with it for about £160.

I'll be putting it through its paces over the weekend, going quad biking and rage buggying, and i never been to that village before!

I'm interested in the TMC module though, any experiences with this?

Ideally i wanted to retrofit the RNS-E, but right now couldnt justify the cost.

I'm in the process of cutting/positioning the plastic 'plate' in the cupholder so it can be mounted and removed easily, and most importantly, no sucker marks on the screen!

where is your cup holder? what car you got?

TMC, you refering to the traffic master? aint had any experience myself but ive heard its supposed to be quite good!

I've got an 01/X A3, the cup holder that pushes out in the dash.
It looks like there might just be enough room to take 5mm off all round on the disc, and stick it into the base of the cupholder. This will still allow it to push back in.
For the time being, i have just wedged the screen mount in the cupholder with a packet of tissues.
I haven't had time in the daylight to start cutting the sticky disc and trial fitting yet.
If it does fit, i think it will be quite a neat solution, you can then release the sucker, stash the sat nav where ever, close the cupholder, and no one is any the wiser

guyl said:
Thanks for the comments, I plumped for the Nuvi in the end, the maps seemed to be more highly rated than the TT ones,
:cold:
Yes, the maps are more up-to-date, at least they definitely were when I swapped from TT to nuvi about 12 months ago.
I'd also be interested in the cup-holder mount idea.

I've had a chance to give this a go now.

I took out the cupholder, and using a dremmel cut away part of the backrest bit to give clearance when it is pushed away.

Trimmed the edges of the mounting disk supplied with the nuvi, and stuck it to the base of the cupholder.

The windscreen mount needs to be put into the cupholder with the suction lever furthest away from you so that the mount is at the correct angle to see the screen when driving.

Overall it works quite well, only used it for 10 or so minutes this morning, its a little bit fiddly mounting and removing the sucker, but after doing it a few times, im sure it will be easy, just need to get the knack right.

One thing i will say is that quite a lot of the back rest has to be removed otherwise when you push the cupholder back in, it doesnt come out again very easy. It was just a case of cut a bit, try it, cut a bit more, till ot worked ok.

I'll try and get some pictures over the weeked, but im more than happy with it, saves having windscreen sucker marks!