Recommend a broadband ISP / Package ?

Andy101

Reaction score
I'm looking at a broadband connection for my folks, new to the internet. I think 2gb download limit should be OK. Any suggestions for the best ISP package. I have found PIPEX at £14.99 a month - what is their service like, any suggestions ?

I use Tiscali MAX! Up to 8mb, (depending on distance to exchange), usually above 4. £22 per month, which includes unlimited free calls to national & local numbers at any time, on your landline. Requires a BT line!
Never had an issue myself, before that was on BT, generally more expensive, but does a good home networking package for multi machines, using existing phone sockets in house.

im on pipex and never had a problem with them, ive been with them nearly 2 years now.

im on and unlimited download/upload package which cost around £30 a month

but cant fault pipex, im just waiting for them to upgrade me as im only on a 1.1mb connection, hoping to go up to 3mb

alan

I know other people with Pipex and not one of them has any complaints. I'm with Orange/Wanadoo/Freeserve or whatever they are called this week and its worth steering clear of them.

I'm on plus.net with 8mb and a fixed ip address. I can't fault the service it costs £22 a month, which considering the problems other people have had with other suppliers is well worth the extra.

icenutter said:
I'm on plus.net with 8mb and a fixed ip address. I can't fault the service it costs £22 a month, which considering the problems other people have had with other suppliers is well worth the extra.

I'm on this also, although mine is with Metronet (same company) I am having a few probs with the upgrade to 8mb but their customer service is second to none, and i get a 90GB per month limit.... excellent!
I was on Bulldog before and their customer service is worse than ****, its ******* awful. steer well clear of them.

I'm on Demon Internet 8MB and always connect at 8 - no more, no less (only 100yds from the exchange :p !). I was originally on 512k but they upgraded me (free) to 2MB then 8MB and at no extra cost monthly. No drop outs (that I'm aware of anyway) but the only downside is £25 a month. TBH, I'm quite happy paying it as customer service has been second to none and they've always done what they said they would.

I've been with Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange since dial-up days back in 1998. I'm on broadband now and I've only been disconnected once in 4 years. I'm on an orange mobile contract, so broadband is free for me.

ntl free wireless router as well with 4 or 10 meg think it 17 per month but its true 4 or 10 meg none of this 8meg depneds on local exchage crap

Eclipse Internet have always been good to me - very good cutomer service line and also helpdesk who all are based in England and... wait for it... speak English too!!!!

Plus.net for me too! Only £14 per month unlimited uploads/downloads always connects at 7-7.5MB as not far from exchange, never had any issue with them at all! A big thumbs up from me!

Demon 8MB unlimited, no problems yet been with them for over a year and a half £20 a month.