New Mobile- What should I Get??

murph

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm due a new upgrade this month, but unsure as to what phone to get. I've narrowed it down to the Nokia N73 or the Sony Ericsson K800i.

I've read the comments about the K800i, but haven't heard much about the N73. Comments Please

Murph

I've got a Nokia N73, brilliant! 3.2meg camera and loads more that I'll probably never use.

depends on what you'll use it for.

If you need a smartphone, get the nokia. Daytime pics are of a comparable quality, and the video quality is superior.

if you just call and text, and take night photos, get the k800i.

If you prefer clamshell phones I can recommend the SE Z710i, as a work tools its very good, ok camera is 2m with no flash but I've got a decent compact digital cam for that. On the plus side good speaker phone, good battery life, good blue tooth link, good voice recon for car, mp3 player and radio and very light.

Whatever you do choose, DONT get the nokia.

My son has an N73 - I have an N80, and I have colleages with both.. we are all very, very fed up with them! I cant wait to get shot of mine, its the sloooooooowest phone Ive used in years, all the others agree... and consistent across all of them seems to be that they tage FOREVER to reacquire a signal once lost.. Ive travelled the same route every day for years, with different model phones, I know exactly where I lose signal and where I regain it.. nope, not with these new N series, they take literally a mile or two further.. hopeless..

Also, theyve gone backwards with some of the features: You have to set the alarm every day, they don't auto-repeat.. you cant see the properties of a text (like time sent) without going back to the list menu.. If you have several missed calls from the same number, you only get to see the most recent time rather than the previous ones too.. my old 6230i was a much better phone, and I am thinking of going back to that and chucking the N80 up on ebay.. My son feels much the same about his N73..

Video quality is good, still pic quality is V poor against the sony.. The N73 is AF where the N80 isnt, but neither compare.. oh and the stupid stupid stupidly thin power connector for the charger (MUCH thinner than the traditional Nokia one) you only have to accidentally 'nudge' it, let alone drop it, and it cracks.. I have a replacement on order, a colleague has replaced theirs twice!

www.gsmarena.com is good for really detailed reviews, but I for one would be very very happy to swap my 3 month old nokia for a sony instead. I dont expect perfection, but having been a nokia fan for years, I think these are a real backward step..

Course, if you want to buy mine, its great! ;-)

The Nokias are a lilttle tired if you ask me, nothing coming out of the Nokia stables that is different, all phones looking dated now and the software has always historicaly failed me by crashes etc.

Ive got an upgrade and wanted to go for a k800 from o2, rang them up and they wanted 80 quid for it and wouldn't reduce the cost of my bills! My last bill was 93 quid and ive never been under 35 quid...what a load of rubbish! I can get that phone for free if i start a new contract on their website!

I like the n73 too, but it's a bit unconfortable to talk on as its an odd shape.

I'd go for the k800 personally, its full of gadgets, the white one from o2 look lovely! :D

I've always wanted a PDA and came accross a QTEK 3100 PDA and phone in one, I just got one upgraded from Vodaphone for FREE! along with a lightweight bluetooth headset thrown in on my £19.99 per month tariff, and my 12 month contract doesn't end til end of January!
You just need to speak to the right operator, and insist on a good deal, or you will leave and go to another service provider.

Ed said:
Ive got an upgrade and wanted to go for a k800 from o2, rang them up and they wanted 80 quid for it and wouldn't reduce the cost of my bills! My last bill was 93 quid and ive never been under 35 quid...what a load of rubbish! I can get that phone for free if i start a new contract on their website!

I like the n73 too, but it's a bit unconfortable to talk on as its an odd shape.

I'd go for the k800 personally, its full of gadgets, the white one from o2 look lovely! :D

i upgraded my o2 contract in the summer, basically i said i am leaving them....told them some "lies" about a deal i was getting on vodafone, my monthly tariff dropped to £35 (incl insurance) from £60...and included more free texts..and the k800 for free....and only a 12 month deal

white lies pay dividends sometimes :arco:

oh and back on topic.....get the k800i, if you do some blagging they should throw in a 1gb memory stick for nout as well :thumbsup:

ahh i see, like that is it! using vodafone to blag a deal!!! ;)

As a sales avisor from vodafone selling these things all day every day i would defo go with the K800i, far far better than the nokia in every way! Camera is better, menus are easlier, more reliable i think you get the point! Nokias are getting worse by the day! more n73;s returned than any other phone!

Hope this helps! And BTW, if you with Voda and need an upgrade PM me, ill be happy to help!

Booth_S3 said:
ahh i see, like that is it! using vodafone to blag a deal!!! ;)

As a sales avisor from vodafone selling these things all day every day i would defo go with the K800i, far far better than the nokia in every way! Camera is better, menus are easlier, more reliable i think you get the point! Nokias are getting worse by the day! more n73;s returned than any other phone!

Hope this helps! And BTW, if you with Voda and need an upgrade PM me, ill be happy to help!

Does that mean you can get me a good deal? :D

the best deals i've ever had from VF have always been after I've requested my PAC.

No sales rep has ever been able to match the offers from the outbound retention team....

madvw said:
the best deals i've ever had from VF have always been after I've requested my PAC.

No sales rep has ever been able to match the offers from the outbound retention team....

as i sort of mentioned earlier

Once you contract is up tell your service provider your leaving for another company, they will pretty much let you have what you want (within reason) to keep hold of you for another 12 months :)

Thanks for the info. I'm sold on the sony K800i. Hopefully get a better deal than the one i've got.

Cheers again
Murph

used both, hated the n73, loved the k800i

sony ericsson are the best at the moment without a doubt

I have the N73, now that its on Generic Nokia firmware it works lovely. Its the operator's bungled firmware that ***** the phone up, Orange are notorious for it. If anyone wants to know how to upgrade their Symbian or NSeries firmware let me know, i'll post a how-to.