Video camaera's

marriedblonde

Reaction score
Right heres the stroy -

My old mans just broken his video camera and isn;t sure what to replace it with.

Does he go for a DVD based one or stick with a tape one for the time being?

Do all DVD players play those rewriteable DVD's?

He doesn;t want to spend a lot of money as he has a habbit of breaking things or loosing them...

If i were him i'd go for a Sony MiniDV with a firewire output, the quality is excellent, its easy to edit the footage, its on a tape and they're resilient and easy to change (and cheap) and you can stream it to a pc to burn to DVD if you wish!

Those mini DVDs dont fit in all DVD players, most DVD players will play a burnt DVD, i haven't come across one yet that wont.

I do this all the time.

go for the HighDef Hard disk based ones. The editing software isn't great yet, but with the list of support growing, it should be just as good as minidv soon.

Any one know where i can get some software so i can send my recorded stuff(tape) to my computer from my jvc camcorder.

does your camcorder have a usb or firewire output? you can use windows movie maker, its free, and you should already have it if you use XP

It has a usb output,i am using xp,how do i access windows movie maker?

I found the movie maker but it just keeps saying A video capture device was not detected.It is plugged in with the usb cable and switched on but how do i get the computer to detect it ???

I have a JVC MiniDV,which I connect to a Panasonic DVD recorder by S-video.
Picture and sound are great.
You can get a good miniDV camera for £200 now,no probs.
Does fine for recording kids' parties onto DVD for posterity.

James...Try visiting the camcorder manufacturer's site and see if there are any drivers needed, there wasn't with my Sony, but that may not be the case with yours. Also, some camcorders need to have USB streaming enabled on the camcorder itself before it will output anything, check this on yours.