newsgroups and pipex question

Audiman99

Reaction score
Hi, just recently changed over isps from aol 1 mb to pipex 8 mb, its currently connected at 3mb, and downloads from websites fine but when i opened up newsbin and started downloading to my horror it wont go above 10kbs, when I was on my 1mb connection i was getting 110+kbs.

Please tell me this isnt due to pipex not allowing newsgroups or something, if so im gonna cry, i cant go back to torrents they suk so much!

btw im on unlimited 8 quid a month with newshosting and using newsbin v5.

Thanks guys

Allan

Jonesy said:
i cant go back to torrents they suk so much!

untitled-1.jpg

:moa:

tracer how do you get a high download rate when your are hardly uploading? Also what settings, ports are you using. Ive come to the conclusion that pipex block and throttle ports so that limewaire, newsgroups torrents etc work very slowly. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

anyway only way round is using utorrent with encription enabled, but it still goes slow cos my ports wont open properly.

HELP PLEASE

had just started that one so upload was not high. but you can limit upload speed to whatever you want. i set it at 20 so as not to affect download speed but keep my ratio not too bad. i use port 49200 in utorrent connection settings.

yeah pipex clamped down on p2p about a year ago, but you're right if you set encryption to forced you should be unaffected.

so basically use standard utorrent settings then change port , set encryption to forced, and keep upload speed limited to 75%.

dude still dont work properly cant get over 20k, when i check ports on utorrent it says they arent forwarded properly. I have a netgear dg345gt. I set the ports in services, ive done it before i know what im doing but it just wont open the ports. any ideas?

i have a speedtouch 330 modem. i then share my internet connection directly from network interface card. so i can't offer much help on router/hub port settings. if you got a usb modem when you joined pipex, then dig it out and try it first, at least then you have a starting point.

-- blatantly nicked from a faq --> How do I set up port forwarding?

Port forwarding is important if you are using a router, in order to obtain maximum connectivity (and maximum throughput) with the other peers.

To set up port forwarding, your computer should first be assigned a static IP address. If your router is assigning a dynamic address to your computer (using DHCP), your computer's address can change; and that doesn't work well with port forwarding.

After you have assigned a static IP address to your computer, configure the router to forward the port(s) that you are using in your bittorrent client to your computer's static IP address.

Portforward.com has detailed information on setting up port forwarding for a large number of different routers, and it also has information on setting up a static IP address in your computer.

You can test if your system is connectable at
natcheck. This will verify that port forwarding is set up correctly.

If you are running Win XP SP2, remember there is a TCP port limit that you need to patch to use P2P, could be software firewall related.
Like it says above if you are forwarding ports in your router, make sure they are being forwarded to the right IP address, your torrents being green is usually a good indication that your settings are OK.

Pipex are well known for traffic shaping, does your news host allow you to change ports?
Mine lets me use 80 which pretty much gets round any traffic shaping.
Fortunatley, I don't need it :D

ive stuck with newgroups and do most my downloading at night or in the morning. After that it doesnt even work. Its ok tho, just need to get a quiet pc for my bedroom cos its pretty loud. download at an average of about 260kbs, so still pretty quick compared to my 110kbs on aol.

I have herd of downloads through newgroups but dont know much about it anybody care to enlighten me?