So which freeview boxes do you recommend?

TDI

Reaction score
After a freeview box for the second tv in the bedroom. not really after anything too expensive just want something thats reliable. Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

I've heard there's HDD recordable freeview boxes (Sky+ style) just over the horizon.

They are currently running a test in London broadcasting HD over Freeview, A article regarding this will appear in decembers issues of T3 magazine

Without a doubt,the best I have seen is the Sony VTX-D800.
You can get 'em on ebay for around £20-£50,depending on bidding.
It's only negative seems to be that it doesn't allow top-up TV cards.
Mind you,that top-up TV seems a bit pish.
Mind you,all freeview is pish really.

Topfield 5800. Record two things and watch a third. Transfer to PC over USB2 and burn to DVD after editing out the adverts. Install additional plugins such as MP3 players and replacement program guides. Superb machine, much better than Sky+ and no subscription fees.

HUMAX

And dont bother with top up Tv as they have brought out a new system and unless you have the new service the old top tv is pish

Cheers guys keep your comments in mind when i go and buy one.

I have just had a look on ebay and saw a sony one with a built in HD anyone got one of these? Would be good so then could get rid of the old VCR.

i've got a hd plasma with the hd inbuilt, can't seem to het the hd channels to work, only the sound comes out

Can't really tell you what to buy but I can tell you what not to buy and that is a Thompson box, so rubbish compared to my old Nokia box

Whatever you do, don't get one of those Duraband ones. They truly are awful. Worst thing about mine is that occasionally you press a button on the remote but it thinks you've pressed a different one, so you press 1 and channel 2 comes on, or you're in the middle of doing the Sudoku on Teletext, press a number button and Teletext closes so you've lost what you were doing :(

batwads that might be because your batteries are getting flat

TDI said:
After a freeview box for the second tv in the bedroom. not really after anything too expensive just want something thats reliable. Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

Nokia Mediamaster off of Ebay for about £20, maybe getting on a bit but is one of the few you can input PID,s manually, hence you get Setanta and TV X for nothing

Onlyme said:
batwads that might be because your batteries are getting flat

I've had it about three months and it's been doing it for the last month at least. If it eats through batteries that quickly, that's another reason not to get one ;)

Batwads take it back then and say its not working and change it for another make