Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    '96 a4 1.8 se

Status

thank god for knoppix

my internet has been dropping out now and again since yesterday morning, so i figure its pipex doing some maintenance or somethin even though i've never had a problem with them before, but then it started dropping out after 5 minutes of use and i had to restart xp to get it to log on again. so i figure maybe modem is on the blink but then network starts playing up. and then sound card......grrrrrrrrr.

so i dig out my old knoppix cd, boot her up and all is well. don't know why i ever strayed from linux.

if you have never used it before its worth a look, if you have a couple of hours to spare. basically you download and burn to a cd or i believe its available as a dvd now. then restart your pc and boot from cd. it then boots up linux, you can access all your hard drives and they are mounted as read-only so theres no chance of f'in things up! seems to have more drivers than xp, only thing i have trouble is with my speedtouch modem but i've found a script to get it working. then when yer finished, reboot, and you go back to normal again. clever stuff.

worth even having a copy just in case, certainly helped me today.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

oh and for anyone else who has speedtouch 330 modem --> http://christophe.delord.free.fr/en/adsl/index.html

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    You might want to check out Kanotix (a knoppix clone). It comes with captive-NTFS, which is invaluable for sorting windows spyware issues; boot into kanotix, delete files, reboot. Job done.