BT Home Hub

Aldo

Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone on here have this set up in their house?
If so it says speed can be upto 8 meg,now is the wireless on the hub 8 meg or 54mb/s like a Belkin router etc?

You won't get 8MB, no one gets 8MB. It'll be subject to the same limitations of the local exchange that you already have on your current boradband connection.
The wireless speed is pretty irrelevant as it is the broadband speed that dictates as it will always be slower than wireless.

Ahhh right, Thanks,

Think it is 3 meg in this area.

Got it at last, set up is easy although I deleted all the rubbish off the computer it downloads onto it like yahoo toolbars and BT's own wireless newtwork manager!
Now first night was great surfing, but now secondnight, I went into the bthomehub.home settings to connect to the Internet and it wouldn't do it for about 15 minutes, maybe I shouldn't of taken all the rubbish off the computer afterall but being broadband and the fact it's a wireless router I thought it would be like my old Belkin and power up the laptop and away to go!
I guess time will tell for now, judging by some Googling, alot of people are not overally impressed by it!

Any tips kwiswithak?

if your service has been changed to the "up to 8mb" - or 4-5meg service as its known - then it will take up to about a week to settle down to a reliable connection. During this week your connection will be up and down like a yo-yo while it figures out the maximum stable connection.

Still deciding about the bt home-hub. In their docs it says that it downloads updates, applies them and reboots automatically. Thanks, but i kinda want to apply them when i want to , not while i'm doing something...

AndyMac said:
I just leave mine connected all the time

Well thats what I thought we could do, but it seems to time itself out overnight and only has 1 light on where as when it's connected it has 2 other lights flashing!

madvw said:
if your service has been changed to the "up to 8mb" - or 4-5meg service as its known - then it will take up to about a week to settle down to a reliable connection. During this week your connection will be up and down like a yo-yo while it figures out the maximum stable connection.

Still deciding about the bt home-hub. In their docs it says that it downloads updates, applies them and reboots automatically. Thanks, but i kinda want to apply them when i want to , not while i'm doing something...

Oh great, I think it's up to about 4 meg service in our area!
Yeah I noticed that it updates itself, there is a Hub setting manager which I can presume you can configure so you could do it yourself etc

Aldo said:
Hello,

Anyone on here have this set up in their house?
If so it says speed can be upto 8 meg,now is the wireless on the hub 8 meg or 54mb/s like a Belkin router etc?

nope its 8mbs (that’s bits per second) is the theoretical max downstream you can get on adsl2 – if you live next to the exchange and you have a perfect local line to the exchange.

The wireless is 54mbs realistically the max you will get on wifi is half that and that’s with one thing attached to the wifi and no interference.

Normally the bottle neck will be the ADSL unless you live in a really congested area say a block of flats with loads of wireless internet users (in that case bite the bullet buy a tri band ap and switch to 802.11a or power line)

oh and only use 1 6 or 11 as wifi chanels

Cheers for the reply, we have now since got a free Echoelife router which was free with TalkTalk, it seems ok, our line into the house is dodgy though so sometime drops connection

Im running 6736kb/s Download and 306kb/s upload from my home hub, also have the vision box when first came out and broadband speed was verified as correct by BT so im fairly pleased with the results at the mo, ive done a few tests to different areas and results very similar

and one to GENEVA for luck:)

Try a few for yourselves http://www.speedtest.net/index.php

I am only getting 2915 (les than 3) here in Bristol on Home Hub!!:slap:

215028331.png
BRISTOL

Rick Glover said:
I am only getting 2915 (les than 3) here in Bristol on Home Hub!!:slap:

99% of your speed depends on the quality of your line between your house and the exchange and any adsl isp will give similar results.