Anyone own a sony ericsson K800i?

It is probably the best phone I have had.

The camera is excellent

Takes in all conditions

Managed to get some shots of the riders at Donnington from Moto GP, have posted below

The web is good, with a built in RSS, email, and text.

Screen is very clear.

Java applications seem to work well too.

Sync well with outlook

Feels very nice, heavy enough to know its there without it annoying, but feels as if you could drop it without breaking it.
some photos

Unzoomed pick of track

dsc00001.jpg

with digital zoom on, and moving (about 60mph)

dsc00033.jpg

i got my new phone yesterday, and I have to say it's the best phone I've had.

was able to sync up to outlook very easily for all the contacts. ( taken from my work Nokia phone).

it comes with 512 meg card, so loaded up a load of mp3s.

My only critiscm are the headphones that come with it, they have a rubbery earpiece which you have to jam into you ears.

Cheers guys for the feedback. I think i'll go for it.

Nickel101, The rubbery earpiece will p*** me off as well.

;-)

I saw one of these phones for the first time on Saturday and was very impressed. Ive always used nokia phones for the last 18 years and took a lot to convert me.

Battery life seems good as well

Got my self a free one from Orange as an upgrade

should be here tomorrow

simonwjones said:
I saw one of these phones for the first time on Saturday and was very impressed. Ive always used nokia phones for the last 18 years and took a lot to convert me.

Battery life seems good as well

Got my self a free one from Orange as an upgrade

should be here tomorrow

Let us know how you get on with it.

:)

Phone arrived today

No sign of free 512mb memory card only the inbuilt 64mb. It does have a slot for the new micro Sony M2 card which you can pic a 1gb one for around £40-45.

Quality puts my Nokia 6230i to shame. Battery life is almost twice that of my Nokia also. The camera is the dogs danglies and of course it also supports 3G as well

Ive always liked Nokia and still have my old 6110 with car kit so I missed the battery life I used to have with that. I get through about 1200 minutes a month so now I have BT fitted to my RNSE I needed extra life.

To sum up Definately converted Get One

nickel101 said:
they have a rubbery earpiece which you have to jam into you ears.
The W800i shipped with similar rubbish... I'm not sure if anyone's bothered, but out of community spirit I thought it's worth mentioning that these are extremely unhealthy for your ears.

To be absolutely honest, any in-ear type earphones are shaky territory, they are more likely to damage your hearing than any other type - even if turned down low, but the ones with the rubber 'grommet' that 'seals' them in your ears are even worse.

The idea of sealing the air between your inner and outer ear is that it gives a better clarity of sound, particularly in terms of bass response. This is because as the cone of the speaker moves, it's pushing/pulling what is pretty much a constant volume of air; meaning the vibrations are transferred to your eardrum retaining more of their pressure; which results in a more consistent sound with less (almost none) of the sound bleeding out, or becoming affected by other air movements in/around the ear. The downside is that this means your ear takes a particularly more intense bashing around (if there isn't a tight seal, excess air pressure can be released 'behind' the earphone when your eardrum resists it).

Some might laugh, but you'd be surprised at how easy it is to contract Tinnitus or worse... Dodgy ear-buds might be the straw that breaks the camel's back...

My best advice would be to get a 3.5mm adapter and some headphones/earphones that are less agressive. I suppose that's probably fairly sound advice (no pun intended) even in terms of comfort; I can't be the only one who wants to remove their ears with a cheesegrater after using those buds for any longer than about 20 seconds...

Anyway, waffle over, this has been a public service broadcast by...

(Regards,)

Rob.

hhmm.. well i have the W810i, not the K800i.... :s LOL easy to get confused...

Got mine today! First impressions are awesome! Upgraded from a K750i. Love the camera features...

Currently on charge so haven't had much of a chance to play...

I have this and it is best phone I have ever had
had W800 before and that was good (apart from gay colour)

this is much sleeker looking - camera is very very good - its hard to take a blurry shot with it

Had my K800i almost 8 months, can't fault it!

I quite like the head phones, get on with them just fine!

Enjoy

Thinking of getting the bluetooth headphones for mine. Anyone looked into this?

SMART PHONE IM SWAPPING MY SAMSUNG E900 FOR THAT PHONE. CAMERA QUALITY IS AMAZEING BASICLY IS A DECENT 2 IN 1 PHONE N CAMERA.

Got my K800i a couple of weeks ago, camera is really good, add to that 3G and its really a good piece of kit, am with T-mobile so have their web n walk gives you unlimited data (2GB fair use) which is great as have my phone set to check e-mails every 5 mins, highly reccommend.

There are some problems with K800i bluetooth with RNS-E+bluetooth. Mine seems to put a ? in every phonebook entry for some reason, instead of a space. If you edit it on the phone (delete space, and put it back in) it then displays fine. Odd. And on some days it constantly (and I mean constantly, every two minutes) drops the bluetooth connection in the car. Other days it can work all day faultlessly. Can't understand it!

Really like the phone, and the camera is great. Might go back to my Qtek 8310 though. Only thing that misses is a decent camera.

shark_90 said:
There are some problems with K800i bluetooth with RNS-E+bluetooth. Mine seems to put a ? in every phonebook entry for some reason, instead of a space. If you edit it on the phone (delete space, and put it back in) it then displays fine. Odd. And on some days it constantly (and I mean constantly, every two minutes) drops the bluetooth connection in the car. Other days it can work all day faultlessly. Can't understand it!

Really like the phone, and the camera is great. Might go back to my Qtek 8310 though. Only thing that misses is a decent camera.

Hi Shark. Sh1t, I've got the K800i and have just booked in with craigyb for the RNS-E and bluetooth upgrade. Hopefully just a slight firmware issue that will get fixed in a future release.

When it's working, does it work well with the Audi bluetooth? Does the RNS-E read the names + numbers from the phone memory or is it just from the SIM?

Cheers,

Matt

Ok this might sound like a stupid question but I have my reasons...thinking of going for the K800i I already know its a quality phone, is there any way of locking out the messages so other people cant read them ? My V3i has this feature and for reasons I best not go into it's really useful ?

Originally I had loads of problem with this phone and my Audi BT kit.
After 2 days of experimenting I found the problem.

I had originall synched my contacts off the Nokia with outlook and then synched them back again with the Sony.

It turns out that some of my contacts had the tel number under the entry of "other" instead of Home, Business or Mobile sections of outlook.

The reason it was dropping was that it couldnt upload these contacts into the RNSE phone book and so dropped the BT connection and automatically reconnected.

The way I found this out was to reset the RNSE and recreate the connection. The Bt dropped before the phone book had uploaded.

What I have done now is create a seperate folder inoutlook containing just mey contacts to go on the phone. I them customised the Sony software to just synch with this folder and not the standard outlooks contacts.

I them modified each entry in turn with outlook and checked that each category was either Home, Business or Mobile.

Since then, about 2 weeks ago it has never dropped and works perfectly.

It displays caller name and phone number from both the phone memory and sim, although I dont bother with any sim entries at all now.

The problem with syncing with the standard contacts in outlook is that there may be entries with no phone, just email addresses, so obviously there are characters or filed types that the RNSE doesnt like.

I recogn that a new folder containing copies of your contacts purely for use with the phone has to be the way forward.

WAs ready to chuck it out of the window, but now it is all resolved it works perfectly each and every time

I hope my 2 days of ******* about can help someone out

Cheers

Simon

Blade said:
Ok this might sound like a stupid question but I have my reasons...thinking of going for the K800i I already know its a quality phone, is there any way of locking out the messages so other people cant read them ? My V3i has this feature and for reasons I best not go into it's really useful ?

It doesn't have this option mate, sorry..

Top man Simon. Thanks for that. Definitely going to be of use to me!

Cheers,

Matt

Matt

When it works, it works very well, with the Phone book (I only ever use Phone memory, so I'm unsure about SIM but I'd imagine it would do both) and Missed/Dialled/Received all being synced as they should do.

Simon - I think I have seen one of your posts on another (phone) forum and I tried your advice. Unfortunately it still doesn't work for me, after double and treble checking against what you have said in your post.

As the car's off the road due to running over a support jack off a tractor/bailer, I don't even have a car now let alone hands free :(

Shark sorry to hear about your car mate.

Yes it was me on the Phone forum. Come to think of it my does put a ? in place of a space but it doesnt bother me.

When you car is back on the road have another play. I would start by resetting the RNSE and just upload part of your contact to the phone, see how it goes then try another. Im convinced its a contact that causes the phone to drop the connection. Ignoring the days when it works fine, does it dropout before the phone book is uploaded?

Have you been through each one in outlook to look for any odd characters or additional entries?

I literally spent two solid days getting to the bottom of this. Sony Erricson did respond to my email EVENTUALLY to say that they cant help as they only test BT connectivity with their own car kits.

My phones on Orange at the moment.

Good Luck

Simon

To be honest there doesn't seem to be any kind of pattern, I always use the phonebook functions and as they can't be used until it's fully synced, I can only imagine that it's syncing properly. I have been through my contacts and checked for daft characters etc, and that they all have a correct category and not just "Other" but there still seems to be no pattern. The only thing I can think of is that we both sync our contacts with Outlook and we imported those contacts from another phone.. I don't know. I'll have another look at it when I get my car back, hopefully this time next week!

Thanks for your advice mate.

sounds about right

I did create the new contacts folder in outlook and then synched the phone with it.

It then wiped all the contact from my phone, checked each one in turn in outlook and then synched them back to the phone.

Your right about the phone book in the RNSE though, if it is available then it has synched.

BUT the reason it went down this route was that there were still contacts showing in the RNSE's phonebook that I had deleted from my phone.

????????????????????????? hows that work then, is the RNSE storing them internally??

remember the first time the synch took place, seems to take for ages. Now it doesnt take long at all, perhaps it does store them all internally and the synching is purely looking for changes between the phone and the RNSE????

just thinkling and typing out loud.

I reckon that a RNSE reset, wipe all the phone contacts and then a resync may throw some light on it,

Good luck anyway

Simon

another thought, you have to manually enter the phone number to call the mailbox on the RNSE, so its got to store the phone book internaly

I'll have a crack at it when I get my car back, and try using another folder like you suggested. You might be right about it storing it internally, then looking for changes, syncing the changes (if there are any), and then making the phonebook available. Seems odd!

I'll post on here when I have had the chance to mess around with it again.

had my k800i since it came out, and have been realy happy until lately
the joystick seems to not work every now and again and the camera sometimes wont take pictures.
looks like Sony ericsson didnt sort the problems out that happend with nearly every K750i...

ash s3,

I've just started to experience the exact problems you mention :-(

nope, the joystick has been the weak-point on SE's since the days of the t68. Only way out is warranty, as the joystick is part of the phone mainboard.

I've had mine a few months now and i think my joystick is starting to play up. Can Sony Ericsson not repair these then?

Apart from that its great, and so is the golf game.

Heres some pics i took a while ago on it, been resized:

s3keildb8x6.jpg

s3keildf28x6.jpg

Had my K800i for 3 months now and I am really impressed with it, had a Nokia for as long as i can remember glad I mad the switch:yahoo: