New TV recommendations

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new CRT TV, max £400 budget, so nothing extraordinary...

All I need is a minumum of 2 scart sockets, and 32". I don't need freeview (mainly watch DVD's and will be getting sky soon anyway) Must have a stand with at least 2 shelves.....

Any recommendations? I'm thinking of This JVC or This Samsung anyone got any other ideas???

I'm a bit of a TV dufus, so anything to stay away from?

TIA

If you're sticking with a tube I'd save some money and buy a 32" Sony on ebay, there's loads going for silly money as people "upgrade" to Plasma/LCD.

[ QUOTE ]
If you're sticking with a tube I'd save some money and buy a 32" Sony on ebay, there's loads going for silly money as people "upgrade" to Plasma/LCD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I did think of that and had a look, problem is they are all 3yrs+ old, and I really need something with a warranty (if something can go wrong with something of mine, it will) and also an invoice for insurance.

If they are your choices id go for the jvc over the samsung anyday even if there was a hundread pound difference, i had a samsung combined dvd vcr machine and although it looked stunning it was a pile of sh-t, took it back under warranty 3 times and in the end changed it for a different brand, neighbour has got different model samsung dvd vcr machine and he has had the same probs as what i had, so personally id steer clear of samsung, saying that though my mate has just bought one of there tvs that looks like a plasma looks well impressive, ( apparently they have turned the tube upside or something, so there is hardly any back on it ) but if it was my choice id go for jvc, toshiba, sony or philips, try the which magazine web page if it lets you in your get your advice like reliabilty from there

"problem is they are all 3yrs+ old, and I really need something with a warranty (if something can go wrong with something of mine, it will) and also an invoice for insurance."

Trinitrons never go wrong so a warranty is irrelevant, the tube is guaranteed for 10 years!
Insurance is also irrelevant as no one is gonna nick a ****** great CRT, even if they do all you need is a credit card statement with something electrical on it for them to pay up.

Bainsy, I've just bought a Samsung DVD recorder/VCR combo to tied me over until Sky get their act together & release a Sky+ box with DVD writer.
Basically chose it purely on looks (and it was only £220 in the sales), those Panasonic units are hideous, look like something from the 70's!
What problems did you have? Have I really bought a bag of spanners?

[ QUOTE ]
Trinitrons never go wrong so a warranty is irrelevant, the tube is guaranteed for 10 years!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the tube may well work - shame about the rest of it though... trust me, I would get the one with the dodgy electrics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Insurance is also irrelevant as no one is gonna nick a ****** great CRT, even if they do all you need is a credit card statement with something electrical on it for them to pay up.

[/ QUOTE ]
I take it you have never had your place broken into and everything trashed then? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've had so much grief with insurance companies not paying out what I paid for something because they have "a price" which they are paying out whether you like it or not - new for old is only really worth it if you have full documentation of what you bought and for how much IMO.

TBH I would love a Sony unit - they definately make the best CRT TV's without a doubt, I have a couple of mates who have them and they are excellent, but then having said that they probably aren't that much better than any other..... i certainly doubt that the price increase is worth it. For example - the JVC unit in my original post I can get for £310 delivered, an equivalent Sony unit is about £450

Well I haven't had the place trashed but I've had probably about £8k worth of stuff nicked over about 5 claims and I've never had a problem (other than the real problem of actually getting them to do what they are contractually abliged to do) just providing an old credit card receipt as proof of purchase.
With an ebay purchase you are quids in as you'll pay say £150 for the unit, and be able to claim £450 if it gets trashed/nicked. I've had 2 Sony tubes and they've both lasted over 12 years each, friends and family have had the same experience. They don't like being dropped though.
Even if you had a full receipt/documentation the insurance will only pay the going rate for a replacement anyway at todays prices, that's what "new for old" means, regardless of whether you paid over the odds for it in the first place, or whether you got a bargain on ebay!

Thats my point - if you buy it off ebay, you don't have a receipt for it.....

And TBH the ones on Ebay are going for up to £350, I can't find any for £150 at all.....

Andymac, the trouble i had and the neighbour is experiencing is that you load a dvd and it kept skipping on most dvds, after arguing with the idiot in currys he said hed send it away, came back " nothing wrong with it sir, must be your dvds sir " got it home, same thing, ended up taking bag full of dvds and asked the idiot to try another dvd player which had no problems playing whatever dvd we threw at it, then tried them in the samsung and the thing skipped through 6 out of 10 of them, went away twice more, with the same nothing wrong sir smug reply, spoke to manager of the place who tried fobbing me off until i stated that a dvd player that doesnt play 6 out of 10 dvds is not fit for the purpose i bought it for, so he changed it for a sharp unit. Like you said lovely looking units but i had probs and neighbour got probs, mine was about 4 years ago and his machine is roughly same age, although he said it played up after he bought it, i would have thought they would have sorted the problem out by know, so i wouldnt worry, its just i paid a lot of money four years ago, so i just feel reluctant to purchase samsung, like i said mate has just bought one of there widescreens which looks like plasma and is stunning to look at, im just seeing how long it lasts before id consider samsung again

Thanks bainsy, feel slightly better now.

Outlore, you don't need a receipt in order to prove ownership just a credit card statement for a similar amount from anywhere that sells TV's. Had to make a £2k claim back in August when some Gippo scum cleared out all my power tools and they were happy with Egg statements which just listed Screwfix and an amount, or you can use a copy of the user manual as proof.
The only ones finishing soon on ebay are all under £300, the only ones asking stupid money have no bids!
Sony 32" 100Hz

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks bainsy, feel slightly better now.

Outlore, you don't need a receipt in order to prove ownership just a credit card statement for a similar amount from anywhere that sells TV's. Had to make a £2k claim back in August when some Gippo scum cleared out all my power tools and they were happy with Egg statements which just listed Screwfix and an amount, or you can use a copy of the user manual as proof.
The only ones finishing soon on ebay are all under £300, the only ones asking stupid money have no bids!
Sony 32" 100Hz

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that is one that I am watching TBH, but the other thing with Ebay is that no one will courier it cos of the cost (and if they did, the cost would probably equate to a new unit) and I would probably have to drive miles and miles to get there, and then I am not sure if a set that big wout fit in my car.....

Got a 32" JVC in black arriving monday - will let you know what I think of it when it comes... Got it for £305 which I think is pretty good.

The Sony on Ebay went for £265 in the end - so not a bad price.....

[ QUOTE ]
Got a 32" JVC in black arriving monday - will let you know what I think of it when it comes... Got it for £305 which I think is pretty good.

The Sony on Ebay went for £265 in the end - so not a bad price.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one. Where did you get it?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nice one. Where did you get it?

[/ QUOTE ]

www.digico.co.uk now have them back in stock £318

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have the 28" version of that. It's a damned good set.