MP3 editing

necroeire

Reaction score
A while back I connected my old record player up to my HiFi and recorded a favourite album of mine that was never released on CD. I made the mistake of recording both sides continuously so I have only 2 mp3 tracks. I have them burned onto a CD and the CD only has two tracks each about 22 minutes long. Since then my record player has died and will not under any circumstances be resurrected.

What I'm wondering though, does anyone know how to edit these two tracks into separate tracks? Is there any software out these that's free and that I can use to edit mp3's?

Found a free program called Audacity that does the job nicely. Needed a dll file so I could save the cropped file as an mp3 though.

You can do it in Microsoft Sound Recorder (Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/Sound Recorder).
It's a bit painful as you basically have to mark the start and end then delete from these 2 points to get the track on it's own, but it works a treat.

You want to look for a program called Cooledit pro v2.1, that will allow u to load the whole mp3 and edit at will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

You might be able to find this on a p2p site /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

or

goto a freeware/shareware site like www.download.com, you might have to pay a small price if you find the program useful.

But it allows try before you buy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Hope this is of some use to you.

[ QUOTE ]
You want to look for a program called Cooledit pro v2.1, that will allow u to load the whole mp3 and edit at will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Well said that man.

Cool Edit is the badboy... I've been using it since about 1995; and much prefer it over the sample editor which is the choice of many of my peers - SoundForge.

SoundForge probably has more acceptance among the industry (probably moreso amongst independants within the sector), and to be honest I think that's largely down to the fact it's marketed well and has been pushed a lot by the industry media. That said, the BBC and countless other organisations who are also in the know choose Cool Edit first.

Incidentally, the manufacturers of Cool Edit and SoundForge were both bought-out over the past (app.) 18 months, SoundForge is now a Sony product (part of Sony Pictures) and Cool Edit is now produced by Adobe, and called Audition - that might help if you're looking for up-to-date information on either...

Regards,

Rob.