Help - GPS problem !

Japper

Ibis S3 Fan Club
Reaction score
I have an IPAQ HP HX2110 with a 'non authorised' copy of Tomtom 5. I also bought a 'used' Globesat ( DConnex ) BC307 compact flash GPS receiver off of ebay. I prefered this option as it charges from the ipaq and keeps everything neat and compact.

My problem is that I can do a test of the receiver with its own software and get a lock on 4-6 satellites, but it will not lock on with the tomtom 5 software.

I have 'unchecked' accept beams, and taken off the Globesat software as I know both of those can confuse things. I have done reboots and manually configured the COM4 and CF device. The blue and yellow circle thing is spinning, indicating that it has recognised the device, but yet it wont lock on.

Is the GPS receiver duff, or does tom tom 5 favour certain receivers ?.

Any gurus ?.

go to 'other gps receiver', choose com1 port, should work. i also got a non authorised copy, do u know how to load on a differnt map? (spain)

[ QUOTE ]
go to 'other gps receiver', choose com1 port, should work. i also got a non authorised copy, do u know how to load on a differnt map? (spain)

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried that, but that's only for wired receivers. The compact flash works off of Com 4.

yea i know, but my receiver is built in wireless one, but i still have to use the wired option. the software if for tomtom devices, just try the different com ports on the other wired devices

Yeah, that's what I go through - other wired devices, then the only one that 'works' is com4. But it never locks onto any satellites. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you have the map on DVD or CD??

You just copy it over to the memory card where you store your map data, then on the iPaq goto settings, click over a couple of pages and there is an icon called swith map - this will list whatever maps are loaded onto the memory card.

Kev.

mine doesn't actually lock onto any satelites, at least it doesnt show it on the screen, but the signal is there, cos it works

Sorry Japper I don't think I can help as I've never used TomTom.

You may be able to get some help from the forum at the PocketGPS World website here Look for the forum in the LH sidebar.
The site is full of very useful information and the forum areas can be really helpful. You will have to register to ask a question but it's free.

Japper
Do you have a mobile phone in use when using your Sat Nav?. I used tomtom navigator 5.1 on my Mitac Mio 168 for the first time last week on a trip to Newcastle. It lost the GPS signal for approx 60% of the time.
When I investigated further on various GPS forums one suggestion was regarding mobile phones and how they affect the GPS signal.
I then tried with the mobile phone turned off and the diffrence was amazing. Since this I now store my phone in the armrest on my A4 and the GPS signal is still ok.
Hope this helps.

Hmm, I use a Nokia 6630 and a blue tooth Globalsat GPS thingy, it works together very well. Tom Tom finds my device with no probs as another device. Whislt i reaslise it's not quite the same i thought i would just show that mu Unauthorised TT5 does all it should