Blackvue DR380G HD In Car Camera Review

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Thanks to Advanced In Car Tech (Link) for running a forum competition to win a Blackvue DR380G HD In Car Camera and I won.
So I thought it be only fair to them and the forum to do quick review, answer any questions, share some pictures, thoughts and videos (I don't do dogging any more, so you'll be happy to hear there wont be any videos from that late night adventures).

First impressions of opening the box.

Good solid box, nice images and good clear information/spec list.

IMAG0650_zps2d1204bc.jpg

Box open. Can't miss the camera of the 16GB SD card and adapter. Its nice for a manufacture to issue good size SD cards with adaptors. I've normally end up having to buy a good card and adaptor but not this time. :jump:

IMAG0651_zps574652c8.jpg

Bags of cables, sticky bits and manual.

IMAG0652_zps039169dd.jpg

Turns out to be a SD card reader which is another bonus. 2 video cables, which is nice, saves me from having to hunt for my own. Extra windscreen sticky pad and 4 sticky cable tidies, which is nice and useful.

IMAG0653_zpsf97a48f9.jpg

Quick flip through the manual, nose at the cable and I got impatient so I went out to the works van and plug it in.

First impression of plugging it in are pretty flashing lights and then it speaks to you.
I was a little bit shocked by this, I never thought it would speak but I guess it makes sense as there is no display or buttons on the unit.

First words was its initialising the SD card, then it said "commencing normal recording".
Cool. Waved the camera around a bit and walked back in to the office.
"Blackvue is shutting down!" Cool. I thought it would just die but it did a proper shut down and told me. Cool.

Back in the office, software install, firmware update and a look at the video.

BRB

I'm back.

I've updated the firmware (It tells you its doing it and when its complete. so cool), drove round the block to do some recording and uploaded it to the PC.

Where to start with this section.

Video quality.
Good, very good. really impressed, even the lads in work was impressed.
30FPS at 720. It was very smooth, no pixeliation (SP) and very good.

Sound.
I turned the mic off. I can't comment, sorry.

The software that you get with the camera is really good.
very easy to use and it gives you loads of information.
G meter, location on google maps, Speed and full video control.
You can speed up, slow down, take screen shots and it even has a zoom function which is very good.

I'm not sure what else to say really. I need to have a proper play and some long term use and I can report back if any one wants more information.

I will be taking it to ADI with me and hopefully it will get some track time.
Will be interested to see what G's different cars get and speeds.

The camera is great. Its a massive thumbs up from me.

Check out the current group buy that is running for this camera.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/group-...ra-accident-witness-track-day-protection.html