Migrating NT4 domain to W2K

Drystone

Reaction score
Question for you MCSEs out there.

My firm has an NT4 domain controller, which is also the Exchange server (Exchange 5.5). There is also an NT4 BDC and a site Exchange server at our second smaller office (linked via VPN). All our other servers are already running Windows 2000 Server and are just member servers of the domain.

Questions are:

1, How easy would it be to upgrade the PDC/BDC/Exchange servers to Windows 2000 server with AD and Exchange 2000?

2, Whats the best way of going about this?

3, Win2K doesn't support BDCs IIRC so do users at the second office have to rely on the Domain Controller at head office for logging on?

3, Is it worth doing? Our existing infrastructure is very stable and does everything I want it to do. If it ain't broke don't fix it etc etc.

4, How could I cost justify it to the powers that be?

Thanks,

Christian

You know that you could migrate to Linux and use Samba as a Domain Controller and none of the clients (ie. windows pcs) would know the difference?

Advantages: No server license fees (Linux and Samba are Open Source) - represents a cost *saving* - always good for business /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Disadvantages: You'd have to learn a Unix-style command line interface

Just thought I'd muddy the waters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Alex.

Now you're just complicating matters Alex. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seeing as I have zero experience of Linux or Samba it's probably not an option (but thanks for the idea anyway).

Christian