My iPhone is wrecked :-(

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I dropped it on the pavement this morning. When I picked it, fearing it might have a few scratches, I was horrified to see the screen was shattered right across. It still works, but the screen is a complete write-off.

Has anyone experienced something similar, and if so, how costly will it be to get fixed?

Check out YouTube for tips to replace the screen

I've just looked at a YouTube video. It's encouraging that the screen can be replaced, but no way will I attempt that myself. I don't have the dexterity or the eyesight for such fine work.

I took my girlfriends in to a little shop and they replaced it good as new for £75. Had the back of my phone fixed at the same time, and that cost £15. It literally took 15 minutes.

I took my girlfriends in to a little shop and they replaced it good as new for £75. Had the back of my phone fixed at the same time, and that cost £15. It literally took 15 minutes.
Where was this? I'm not far from the Medway towns.

Apple charge around 130 as a last resort maybe if it's under a year old you could get a new one under warranty? From apple

Apple charge around 130 as a last resort maybe if it's under a year old you could get a new one under warranty? From apple

Unfortunately it's not a manufacturing defect, it's accidental damage.

Warranties won't cover that, if you have insurance on it, then put in a claim.

If not, just bite the bullet and get it repaired.

Unfortunately it's not a manufacturing defect, it's accidental damage.

Warranties won't cover that, if you have insurance on it, then put in a claim.

If not, just bite the bullet and get it repaired.

That's what I did in the end. The Apple Store in Bluewater exchanged it for £119. I called my home & contents insurer who said they would meet the claim, but as I have a £100 excess, it wasn't worth it for £19.

That's good business for apple, helps people with no insurance or warranty to replace their phones reasonably cheap. And I'm sure they make a tidy profit refurbishing the old ones and doing the same again.

That's good business for apple, helps people with no insurance or warranty to replace their phones reasonably cheap. And I'm sure they make a tidy profit refurbishing the old ones and doing the same again.

There is an unlocking kiosk on one of the walkways in Bluewater that offers to replace the screen for £74.99. But the phone is only seven months old, and I didn't want to invalidate the warranty.

And now that I have bought a clear pvc skin to protect it, the phone no longer fits into my Brodit dash-mount!

Grrrrr!!!!!

NEW one lol

More like refurbished, rubbish.

I am on my 4th refurbished phone from apple after taking mine in with a problem less than 4 weeks ago.

Apple quality control is ****e!

I've replaced my screen twice on my old 3gs and once on my 4

The 3gs is simple but you have to use an iron to get the old screen off the digitiser, with the iPhone 4 you should get the digitiser with a new screen for about £20 off ebay and they're really good quality :) not too difficult to fix either :)

If you need any more info, message me.

Ben

Is that the back of your iPhone casing you mean? Mine has shattered and been meaning to get it fixed but hesitant as I didn't expect it to be so cheap...?