My tv's dying

TDI-line

Uber Post Whore
Reaction score
Serious thread now guys.

The story goes my 8 year old JVC 28" widescreen is on it's way out, the sound keeps going louder and crackling, and have now been pointed out by a couple of people that the screen is green. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Must have got used to the green screen though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So planning on spending from £1 -2.5K (at a push) on a new LCD or plasma tv. Size from 32" to 44", and would rather have a quality machine, then an unheard of brand.

Also warranty is important, and looking for around 4-5 years, so if free this would be a bonus.

I need it to be HD READY , as at present their are only 74 sets that are compatible for this.

The pioneer sets seem to be getting excellent reviews, especially the PDP-435XDE.

Pioneer seems to be the best mate thats the one i hope to be going for when i have some spare spondoolies! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I dont know about the cost but my dad bought a Panasonic Viera (37") before christmas and it is superb.

Sound is good, picture seems flawless and the stand is pretty good.

It's amazing how much money they have come down.

The panasonic's are nice, but we have a matching wooden tv cabinet, so the i think the panasonic is ruled out by it's built-in stand. And would like to wall mount with purpose built chase in the wall, so no wires shown (in the next house).

Right, iv'e had to do something drastic.

Fed up off the green screen, so went a bought a 43" pioneer plasma for (cough) a few (cough) grand.

Lovely piece of kit, but i feel the picture quality could be better, but it was given 5 out of 5 in the What plasma and lcd mag. But great for the x-box though, just like being in the arcades.

Well early days yet, i've only had it for 12 hours, so will report back later.

Pioneer

Congrats on the new TV matie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Confused on why your not 100% with the picture quality! Whats wrong with it they are supposed to be superior plasmas!

Maybe it's just me CJ, but i feel it could be sharper and some times the colour looks a little, well blurry and the whole thing could be crisper or sharper.

Watched Lord of the Rings 3 last night on DVD, this seemed stunning, and the whole screen was great. Then watched Harry Potter 1 on DVD, this seemed good, but felt it could be better. We are using the x-box as the main dvd player though, so this probably isn't as good as £300 dedicated dvd player, maybe someone can advise me on this?

And yeah. these is naff all on tv on a saturday night!

But the x-box games are stunning though.

Picture will look a little fuzzy on any 43" screen (as it is still using the same 625 line source), add to that the fact that plasma's have an inferior picture quality to start with and there's the result.
Who cares about picture quality anyway, think of all the space you're saving in the corner of the room (that can't be used for anything other than a TV), and the neck ache looking up at the new screen. Priceless!

Thanks for the feedback guys, good and bad.

Lets just hope this HD ready lifts off soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yeah but if you are buying a new TV now you need digital ENCRYPTED input if you are going to use HD Sky.

Ok, it's a few weeks on now, and the picture quality seems fine now. Maybe i'm just getting use to it all now, but still has the wow factor. Would highly recommend this piece of kit for overall quality and performance.

IMO the crt still gives the best overall picture quality although is quickly being caught up and soon overtaken by Lcd, i think the plasma always looks hazy and not crisp enough, but i am being really critical, to most people they look just fine, the main advantage of Lcd / plasma is obviously cabinet size and multi mounting positions,( i'm not talking about the ex either). My current set up includes 4 Bang & Olufsen tv's one of which is Lcd and to be fair its difficult to decide which is best, they all offer different viewing experiences along with excellent sound quality from 'active' speakers, the other tv's are a Sony 16" portable( 15 yrs old and still excellent ) and a Sanyo which i bought for a ps1.
However if you want a excellent stand alone tv and not a multiroom setup i would stick with...
1, Sony
2, Mitsubishi
3, Panasonic
Having worked on and viewed these brands you wont go far wrong thats why you pay more, a bit like Audi, BMW and Mercedes.

too late now but if you could have held out they are bringing out a new version of CRTs which yes is old tech but superior picture the telly size will be slightly bigger in depth than a lcd plasma. Cant remember when they are coming out but if you get t3 or stuff mags they usually do features on the gear to get, or try which on line most people rubbish there reviews but i find they are quite good

you will find that DVD's and games consoles should be awesome on a large format, but tv will be grainy and crappy. TV picture signals dont scale up well to large format, and ironically digital tv is the worst, especially on the low bitrate broadcasts which look blocky and blurred. I'm not an expert on this, but you may be able to improve the TV picture by using a seperate tuner that contains a better quality box to scale up the picture, preferably using the RGB or DVI inputs - however these can cost £0000's.

The best picture quality will come from using either the DVI, HDMI or component connection on the pioneer, you wont be getting the best pic using a scart.

Many of the new dvd players have HDMI connectors. This transfers digital information striaght to the plasma, it doesnt go thru a d-a conversion (which is what will happen when using scart)

Progressive scan is also another useful feature to have on a DVD player, this will improve the pic quality alot for big screens/ projectors etc.