which surround sound system

jonny87

Reaction score
so me and the mrs will be tv shopping on the weekend (my favourite kind of shopping) and she has told me she wants surround sound, happy days :D

i know what i want but can only find one product that fits the bill and is made by a company ive never heard of and on amazon it gets one good review and one sh!te review, so was wondering if any of you techy guys could help point something out

it doesnt have to be for 3d (not getting a 3d tv)
dont want blu ray
it doesnt have to able to connect to the internet (the tv will)
want at least 800watts pref 1000w
digital input/output
needs to have at least two tallboy speakers in the set
and, this is the critical detail, the rear speakers must be wireless

reason being is the way our living room is theres no way of hiding the wires without ripping up the laminate flooring and if i try and tuck the wires under the skirting no doubt our cats will think they are toys and set about destroying them and the skirting :(

heres the one i did manage to find:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003ZSAL8K/ref=mp_s_a_111?qid=1335296537&sr=8-111

any guidance would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Thanks for linking that page mate, given me a few options, i found the "unavailable" ones on other websites

I'm always wary of makes i havent heard of and auna didnt inspire confidence tbh

More than likely the tv will come from currys so i shall see what they have in stock :)

Im getting carried away with what size tv to get, realistically a 50" will be perfect as in price and fitting in the living room but i keep looking at 55's and 60's haha

The sets are a good entry point. But if you think you may want to upgrade speakers etc, may be best to steer clear from a all in one.

Forget your watts desire, most stuff you see listed is PMPO, peak music power output, ie a figure you will never see, and even if you did, it would sound awful. RMS power is the only thing you need to look for. Again, you dont need massive numbers. Most tvs would have 10w if your lucky.
Its the same as headunits saying 55w per channel etc, but rms, they are more like 10w.

You wont be watching Blu Rays ? In that case, you dont even need hdmi, as optical will carry 5.1, which is the best you will get from TV or DVD. If you want Blu Ray, you ideally need hdmi, as Blu Rays can have HD DTS / Master Audio, which cant be done over optical.

Some manufacturers offer wireless add ons for speakers. Check what band it runs on, as routers etc can interfere.

Thanks for linking that page mate, given me a few options, i found the "unavailable" ones on other websites

I'm always wary of makes i havent heard of and auna didnt inspire confidence tbh

More than likely the tv will come from currys so i shall see what they have in stock :)

Im getting carried away with what size tv to get, realistically a 50" will be perfect as in price and fitting in the living room but i keep looking at 55's and 60's haha

before you get your tv, check out john lewis...they arent far away on price and they usually chuck in a longer warranty, and the customer service is great.Unlike currys.

Thanks for the advice guys, i think i was a bit hasty in saying we dont want blu ray, we prob will get a player and slowly update our collection.

I was wondering about the wattage thing, i shall look out for the rms output from now on :)

I shall also check out john lewis, but we dont have one in my area and for something like a tv i want to see it in the flesh before buying so maybe i can scope one out at currys and see if JL do it cheaper

If i cant get a surround system we want how about one of those sound bars? Ive had a breif look at them and they seem low wattage for alot of money, unless its RMS power thats stated?

I think you should get seperates if your after sound quality, which is what i have done. The advantage of this is that you can upgrade invidual components once they are out of date with compitable ones ie: amp. It also means you can add to your system when you want to. So you can start of with 5.1 system and add compatible speakers for either 6.1 or 7.1 set up as long as your amp is capable. Like Rom said you should be looking at RMS figures for speakers and amp, and it does not need to be high. Try Richersounds, i'm sure they will be able to help.

i wouldnt place too much emphasis on blu-ray.Most movies dont seem much differant to dvd, esp lock stock which is decidedly worse.Ive rebought about thirty blu rays, and flogged em all.But thats just me.Good point about richer sounds, id forgotten about them!

johnnythepie:1564643 said:
i wouldnt place too much emphasis on blu-ray.Most movies dont seem much differant to dvd, esp lock stock which is decidedly worse.Ive rebought about thirty blu rays, and flogged em all.But thats just me.Good point about richer sounds, id forgotten about them!

Agreed and disagreed, I got my 7.1 amp and speakers (Sony and canton respectively) and they are great, good customer service too. Disagree on the blu ray thing, I think the audio and visual quality is much better but as you say mate, it's a personal thing.

I agree with Bluespark, i would look towards richersounds they do the entry stuff i.e sony lg etc but i would venture down the route of seperates, i chose a make i personally had never heard of onkyo, and spending the extra ££ was well worth the money compared to the currys etc entry level systems all i can say is wow.

Agreed and disagreed, I got my 7.1 amp and speakers (Sony and canton respectively) and they are great, good customer service too. Disagree on the blu ray thing, I think the audio and visual quality is much better but as you say mate, it's a personal thing.

I think its when they 'remaster' a film not filmed in hd the problems start.Seem to overprocess it...lockstock is simply awful.

Hmmmmm alot to think about there, i dont think i wanna go down the whole building up a system myself route, mainly due to cost and hassle, but also because i think an off the shelf setup would be more than enough to suit our needs.

Bluray, i said i wasnt bothered about it originally because i mostly download my films and play them either on my laptop or through the tv via a multimedia box. Also the plan is to have an internet enabled tv so we can get netflix, another reason why we wouldnt buy dvds/blurays.

Im gonna check out that richer sounds a bit later today so ill let you know how i get on :)

I bought my TV in Richer Sounds, get a better warranty, and they price matched (Samsung UE55D7000)

If your streaming media, or using a laptop or similar, you need to be carfeul what its outputting. Most dvd rips wont be 5.1, and unless it has optical out, your only getting stereo 2 channel, which at best your amp may try and upscale to Pro Logic 2 etc. It wont be proper surround sound.

You really dont need a lot of watts, it wasnt something i really looked at when buying, as long as your buying decent stuff, it will be way louder than you will likely use.

Blu Ray is amazing for quality. Ill concede remastered ones etc may not be as good. But some films are just awesome. The Dark Knight, isnt even HD Master Audio, but it sounds unreal.
Transformers 3D was great. May sound silly, but i find with Blu Ray sometimes, it looks so crisp, it almost looks fake. Ill be watching stuff and its just so detailed, it almost doesnt look right.

Again, you can download BR rips if thats your thing. Though a proper 1080p full rip is like 10gb+