For those with Sat Nav

Platinum70

Reaction score
Wishng I had gone for the dealer Sat Nav but hey ho.

Choice of the new Tom Tom dedicated units or one from Garmin which comes recommended. Anyone used these than can give any feedback please?

Also any advice on whether a PDA is a better option.

Many thanks

From what I've heard and used the tomtom is the best to go for if you want an all-in-one dedicated package. The first version has been improved on by the 300,500 and 700 models which apparently come with a full 7-digit postcode search facility!

The PDA version is ok if you already own one plus it works out cheaper but the one I tried kept crashing and the tomtom looks more compact and sleek. Get one - you won't regret it mate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have the original TomTom GO and it is fantastic. If I were to buy again now I would get the new Go500. The 700 has a hard disk but, unless you drive often in Europe, you don't need it. The 300 has missing features like bluetooth and ASN.

Get the 500 and it will double as a bluetooth handsfree kit. The POIs (petrol stations, tourist attractions etc etc) even have phone numbers! Then you can load the safety(?) camera locations via a free download from www.pocketgps.co.uk and you are sorted!

I just put in the DVD nav in the A4 cab for just under £700.
unit from ebay.de including gps antenna, cable adapters and nav disc.
Took under 15 mins to install too.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I no longer get email notification on thread replies for some reason?

If you have the Symphony unit you simply do the following.

Remove instrument cluster, 2 screws.
Put GPS antenna in the little pocket under the dash above cluster, and feed the cable through to behind the stereo.
The remove the Symphony head unit and attach the wiring adapter to the existing harness.
Also attach the aerial adapter to the FM antenna.
Plug your new DVD RNS-E unit in and slide it into place.

Job Done!

If you have the Concert unit, you will need to do the following first.

Remove head unit.
Remove Climate controls.
Romove the single din cage.
Put in a Double din cage.
Then put in a new Climate control unit (or you can file the sides down to get it to fit, it is smaller at the bottom of the console)
Then do as above.

Job Done!

With Symphony it takes 15 minutes, with the Concert it takes around 1h30 mins.

You can get all the adapters and antennas from http://shop.kufatec.de/ and you can pick up the RNS-E unit from www.ebay.de for between €800-1100.

I got everything needed from the one guy for £650 delivered.

Hope that helps.

Guy

Does that mean you lose the six disc from Symphony 2? I have phatbox so do you know if that would still connect o.k? Also what about Bose?

Doesn't the Phatbox use the CD changer input?

Yeah you loose the 6 disc in the front, but one £50 1gb sd card will hold a dozen cds.

Forgot to say, when you order the adpater you tell them if you are using bose or not as the adapters are wired accordingly.

if no/t i have a cd version sat nav plus for sale with all apapters, wiring, europe, belfast, uk benvolux maps, sat nav cover, which will work and fit perfect for £400

Is your car an 8P model?

If so then you need the 8P0 035 192 Audi A3 Europe (Basic), 8P

I have one if your interested.

Craig

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the delayed reply, I no longer get email notification on thread replies for some reason?
Guy

[/ QUOTE ]

Go into "Your home" section of the forum, and there's a profile option where you can check your settings. That should fix it.

cheers Jeff, but that doesn't make any difference, I just don't get notification on here, or on tyresmoke funnily enough, every other forum is fine though.

I get notice to PM's.