ipod help please

DaveACQ20v

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-20v.co.uk
hi guys, my 12yr old daughter has just decided she wants an ipod, so how much should i be looking to spend and what makes a good one (is it just capacity)?. I`m not very clued up about ipods so comments and tips welcome.
thnx in advance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Dave,

i've been looking for an ipod as well,

basically there's 4 main types

1 - Ipod shuffle (up to £99), comes in either 512mb or 1Gb it's ok but you can't choose what you want to listen to very easily as theres no display

2 - Ipod mini (around £130 - £170) - can be in either 4gb or 6gb and comes in 4 colours including pink (might be the one for a 12yr old girl)

3 -Ipod 20Gb (£200 ish) - the "classic" ipod, theres also a black special edition - u2 i think.
this is the one that most people have.

4 - Ipod photo 30gb or 60gb (£250+)
similar to the original 20gb model but with a colour screen so you can store photos on it as well as listen to music.

Hope this is of some help, personally, i'd buy myself one and get her a my little pony or something!!

Mike

I agree with Mike. A Pink iPod mini would be just the job for a 12-year-old & you should be able to find a 4Gb one for £139. Incidentally, 4Gb amounts to roughly 1000 songs which represents over 100 albums in average terms. More than enough, surely.

They are great use, & the itunes software is the best of all the MP3 players on the market

cheers guys, yes i should think 4Gb would be enough, i think i`ll give the pink one a miss coz i shall be using it aswell and @MikeA3, you should have seen her face when i suggested `my little pony` /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif guess i should have told you she is 12 going on 20. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

sorry mate, worth a go though, could have saved you quite a sum.

just a thought but if you want to save some cah have a look on ebay or loot.com as some people sell new ipods there for less than rrp

good luck

yes, i`ll keep my eye on ebay, i`ve got a better idea now of what i`m actually looking for. believe me, if i could have gone the my little pony route i would have done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Whilst on the subject of ipods, is £160 for a 20Gb ipod a good price?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds very good. Where is that?

i think there £209 from apple so 40 quid less is a bargain as long as it's new & the current model (4th gen)

most online shops - amazon etc are around the £200 mark so not a load cheaper.

Mike

if your going to get the 4Gb mini then make sure it is the 2nd gen version as the battery is MUCH better. 1st gen = 8hrs 2nd gen = 20 hrs

only way to tell is the 1st gen box is a cube.. the 2nd gen box is not a cube... its shorter on one of the sides (whats the word for a cubed oblong???)

also if you get the actual ipod and turn it over the 1st gen just had the apple symbol on the back. the 2nd gen has the apple symbol and either 4GB or 6GB stamped on the back.

currys sell the 2nd gen for £139 and staples sell the 1st gen for £139 so make sure you get the right one.

hope that helps.

oh also you need windows XP to run the itunes software...most people have XP now but just incase..... without itunes the ipod is useless as you cannot transfer music. so you NEED XP

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whilst on the subject of ipods, is £160 for a 20Gb ipod a good price?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds very good. Where is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got an email from a friend who sells them, it's + £10 for p&p or you can pick up yourself in the midlands, let me check if he has any left.