Home Theatre Question!

Administrators

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Right the time has come to get rid of my old NAD pro logic kit and get some THX Digital Kit, so I'm looking at the Denon DVD-3800 DVD Player and the AVC-A11SR Surround Amp.
Already have 2k's worth of Speakers so need something nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif to go with it!
Any idea's?

I mentioned this before in the other thread; the Denon stuff is good but this is definitely worth checking out...

Rotel - and check out some of the reviews here .

They're Pommy, so you'll get better bang/buck than with the Jap stuff. However, I'd only look at them for amp & processing; for DVD playback, Toshiba (SD-900e or SD-9500 both are very good) or Denon

-- james

I bet Rotel is made in China. Hardly any low/mid end British stuff is made here now. Tannoy, Mordaunt Short etc all manufacturer in ****.

The heart of any good HC system is the sub, surround sound just works differently than hifi stereo. My decent Arcam set up just sounds quite lame in normal stereo mode once you've been listening to a DTS concert disc in 5.1.

Find a local hifi shop like Sevenoaks and have some proper demo's. Personal opinion is 99% of it, the badge only 1%.

For a decent sub get a Rel Storm/Quake sub... Some of them are coffee table sized.
StudioIII_large.jpg

REL Studio III
Reference class sub-bass system designed for use with the very finest stereo and multi-channel audio systems in larger rooms.

SPECIFICATIONS
SYSTEM TYPE: Super ARM® loaded cabinet with ABC® semi-tone variable bass filter. 110 litre.

IN ROOM LOWER FREQUENCY RESPONSE AT -6dB: 9Hz

AMPLIFIER INPUT IMPEDANCE: high level 100K, low level 10K

GAIN CONTROL RANGE: 80dB

DRIVE UNIT IMPEDANCE: 8 Ohm

MAINS INPUT VOLTAGE: 115V 50/60 Hz or 230 V 50/60 Hz, subject to country

DIMENSIONS: WxHxD mm (inches) incl. feet and rear panel control; 685x618x567(26.97x24.33x22.32)

WEIGHT Kg (Ibs): 93 (205.03)

FINISHES: Black Oak, Cherry, Light Oak, Rosenut, Walnut (subject to country of sale)

Click the magnifier to open a large image showing our wood veneer finishes.

Studio III Underside
FEATURES
True 500W (continuous) discrete, direct-coupled MOSFET amplifier
2x downward firing long-throw 250mm (10") very heavy duty "Volt" drivers , die-cast chassis
Ultra-rigid, multi-braced 30mm cabinet
Refined ABC® variable crossover adjustment in 24 musically correct semi-tone increments between 22Hz-96Hz
Super Acoustic Resistive Matrix (ARM®) loading for smoother bass response
Four position mode selector: line/LFE (0 degrees phase and 180 degrees phase)
Audiophile grade toroidal transformer
Gas-tight Neutrik high level connection for long-term consistency of sound quality
High quality, panel-mounted twin phono inputs at 0dB and +12dB (low level)
High and low level balanced inputs (Neutrik/XLR)
Totally discrete input circuitry for high and low level inputs
Separate volume controls for high and low level input adjustment
Simultaneous connection of high and low level sources
Set-Safe® audibly transparent driver protection
8x ultra-rugged output devices
Double thickness, double-sided glass-fibre board with plated-through holes
lEC power input socket - non-captive lead for installation flexibility
Hand-built in Great Britain, three year worldwide warranty

------------------
The scary thing is wioth this is the frequency it goes down too... 9hz. The resonance frequency of your liver is 7hz... have it too loud and you may kill yourself and break your house! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Arson Panda said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
worfke said:
I almost dare not mention it between the names you have all been mentioning here, but I am very fond of Yamaha amplifiers, in combination with my infinity alpha speakers I like the sound better than the few Denon combinations I have heard. (Only briefly, I must admit)

Bottom line is, you need to listen to some kit before buying it, and you need to listen to it on your own speakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately... take your speakers to the shop and plug em in. Best way of doing it... cos other speakers will sound different. Also, the speaker cable makes a noticeable difference to the sound also.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
My Five Monitor Audio Speakers weigh a ton though!
Well the Left/Right front ones do anyway as the bases are weighted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When my dad got all his stereo kit, they let him borrow the amp so that he could try it as it will be at home... always another option if they let you!

Rich

Bring some DVD's round here if you're near the M25. My audio set up was under £2k and sounds fantastic.

If you are going spend that sort of money then I would look at other options tbh.

You could get a serious used processor and power amp, I had the Denon A1-SE for about 6 months until I tried a used Lexicon processor and a Rotel power amp, the difference was amazing!!
Then changed the Rotel for a Parasound pwer amp and that was an even bigger jump.

The nice thing is companies like Lexicon do a trade in programme, so the guys who spent £4,500 on there per amp/processor a couple of years ago get loads back on it when they upgrade, this puts loads of units onto the market for silly money. As long as you are not fussed about having the latest PLIIx or whatever and just happy with THX DD5.1 or 7.1 then there are an absolute steal.

Have a look at www.crtprojectors.co.uk they had some Lexicons on there recently, you want to look for a late model DC2 or a MC1, and look at the parasound power amps.
This would be a far better bet than an intergrated Denon, I know as I upgraded from their £2.5k flagship to one of these combos which cost me around £1300 for the processor and power amp. Upgraded again since then but that the bug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Send me a PM if you want, as I know a couple of dealers that sell top end stuff and they get first dibs on stuff that comes back on the upgrade programmes, I can give you a number if it is of any interest.