iOS5...

L80EWY

Reaction score
..Is ready to download! Feel like a kid at christmas :happy:

Crashed; Lion Update could not be saved....doh. Nearly 900Mb download so prepare for a biggy.

Mine has crashed 3 times so far. Giving message "err = -3259" in the downloads section of itunes.

4th attempt, 95mb in..............

Mines downloaded, now backing up iphone! praying it works first time ha

20Mb to download of OS-X 7.2, less than one minute!

MacBook Pro is installing items, and then I'll have to sit through 3 lots of oIS download for iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch. Patience required :scared2:

Now iPhoto has got a 762Mb update to make it iCloud compatible - arrggggghhhhhh.

Still not even got onto iOS5 yet.

its alright, didn't have too many problems with mine, but then I did it on the iMac which is still running snow leopard rather than the Air which is on Lion so perhaps thats how I avoided so many software updates.

Warren - the IOS5 software download takes about 15-20 mins then it's just a case of a back-up and restore, probably takes another 20mins

iMessage is nothing like a bb messenger... It's just built into text message unless I'm missing something here

iMessage is nothing like a bb messenger... It's just built into text message unless I'm missing something here

I can't see any difference on the messaging actually. Aren't ou supposed to be able to message people over WiFi?

My iPad 2 won't back up, just getting an error message .......... :keule:

My iPad 2 won't back up, just getting an error message .......... :keule:

If it's at the point whee it's "verifying with apple" then just keep trying, it's because of high volumes of traffic. Mine took about 5 trys to get past that point.

Wouldn't back up - with error messages.

If anyone else suffers this, I had to do the following to get it to work:

1) Reboot the laptop
2) Log out of iCloud in Preferences
3) Reset iPad settings to default via SETTINGS icon
4) Reboot iPad

Continue as specified

It's now working, but cheers for the heads up Nick.

The download crashed 6 times halfway through. Was about to rip my last strand of hair out and found out it was my girlfriend's iphone connecting to wifi causing problems with my laptop's connection! :banghead:

Now the update has finished downloading, ran the update but got a messages saying I need 9gb of free space on my hard drive so my iphone's media could be backed up.

Free'd up 10gb, ran update again, waited about 20 mins for backup to complete, back up completed, attempted to verify software with apple............... ERROR 3200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :keule:

Started update again thinking that it'd at least keep the backup it made seconds ago and go straight back to verifying the software......... nope, its started backing up all over again!! :faint:

So, 3 hours in and i'm still not much closer to having some new goodies to play with.

what you want to do is backup your phone normally. Then instead of performing a back-up and install just do a Restore and that will restore to the new IOS5 (provided you've downloaded it) and then after this you can then sync your phone from your previous back-up.

Its quicker this way as each time you go through the process of Restoring and it dropping out it only takes a few seconds rather than performing the whole back-up every time then dropping out at the end.

Does that makes sense?

My iPad has still not finished updating after 45 minutes.

Wanted to put Senna onto it tonight, but that looks like a job for tomorrow. Wife bought me Senna Blu Ray which has data DVD for iTunes disk included to enable load straight onto 'i' devices. Happy days. Another option above and beyond iTunes store.

what you want to do is backup your phone normally. Then instead of performing a back-up and install just do a Restore and that will restore to the new IOS5 (provided you've downloaded it) and then after this you can then sync your phone from your previous back-up.

Its quicker this way as each time you go through the process of Restoring and it dropping out it only takes a few seconds rather than performing the whole back-up every time then dropping out at the end.

Does that makes sense?

I considered doing that if it failed again but............. its a looking all good now. "Restoring iPhone firmware". :blink:

All good in iWorld then.

By the way, it's not that amazing when you get there!!

Don't say that, I'm hoping for all sorts of magical wizardry :laugh:

Don't say that, I'm hoping for all sorts of magical wizardry :laugh:

Ha!

Ok maybe that was a bit unfair. In reference to iPhone:

The Notification Centre is a nice touch, took me a while to figure it out but if you drag down from the top of the screen you get to it and can set it up in the settings.

I quite like how you can get message notifications just across a bar at the top of the screen now instead of a big box in the middle of the screen

I don't know why Movies has to be separated from the iPod app...thats just pointless.

The ability to access the camera from the lock screen and use the volume button controlling the shutter is quite useful

I'm sure i'll use the reminders app as thats something I always thought was missing.

Last edited:
Hoping I'll get Siri on iPad2. I doubt it!

Anyone know if there's an untethered jailbreak for iOS5 yet? I'm not going anywhere near it till there is - too many mods and apps I don't want to lose!

So I update my other halfs phone to iOS5, what's the difference exactly? Apart from a window thing you can swipe down from the top, is it suppose to be faster?

My own phone is JB'd, so leaving it as it is.

Same here, I'm sure I can live without it.

I had to go online to find the new functions, the window you can swipe down is a 'notification' window, and the best feature is you can log straight into apps from your homescreen. Handy yes, but I won't die without it, just gotta wait for a JB'd version, since it take a couple of hours to update it!

Samew here. my batery seems to last longer

Might as post it here as well:

Anybody else noticed that when in iChat/iMessage if you have been sent a link which also has other text in the message you can't just copy the link?
You can copy the entire message, but in iOS4 you could hold your finger on the link and would be able to copy the link on its own.

P*sses me off because I frequently forward links I receive by sms by copying and pasting them into an email and then sending.
Now I've gotta copy the entire message, paste it into an email and delete the rest of the text I don't want to send.

Hmm think iOS 5 was overhyped a little.. but I do like iMessage - will be handy now to send free MMS's which will save me some cash.

iCloud emails are still not pushing through to the phone though :(