Laptop to tv?

kev1000

Reaction score
Can anyone tell which cables I need to view what's on my laptop on tv?
I have a HP 550 laptop and the tv has the green,blue and red inputs + the usual inputs.

If your laptop has got a HDMI socket and so has your TV, then thats the best way. HDMI lead. Or failing that, VGA connector

Has you T.V got a VGA cable port in the back of it? Something like this:
300px-SVGA_port.jpg

That is how I connect my laptop to my T.V.

Thanks for reply's guys.
Yeah the laptop has a connection like that and the tv has a similar one but smaller and doesn't have the screws.
So can I just set external display on in laptop settings and that's it?

Ok, what I gather is, laptop has VGA connection and the tv has hdmi connection.
So there's no VGA on the tv.
Can I connect VGA to hdmi?

Hi, check maplins as I'm sure they'll have a cable you need, or possibly the bay, VGA to HDMI cable, not 100% on weather you'll have sound but it's a start.

Cheers Kai

Basically the cable is the converter but you have to check your video card to see if it will output digitally through the VGA port, otherwise its a tad more expensive for a box of tricks to do the job. I should imagine most laptops would cater for this but check first anyway.

Cheers Kai

That's a good question, I think you have an Intel GMA X3100 card, by what I've read it doesn't have tv out, you could try a VGA to RGB for £3 and test your arm.

Cheers Kai

i actually ordered vga to rgb cable on saturday so hopefully it will work but knowing my luck i doubt it.
thanks for the help.