Bose Wave Radio/CD

TDI

Reaction score
Your opinions please, as i'm thinking of buying one.

Thanks

liked the look of it, liked the concept.. went into the bose shop in Tunbridge Wells.. listened to it..

walked away...

I know im fussy, i like some bose stuff but not all, but I felt this was nowhere near worth the ££ being asked.. not fundamentally better than anything you could pick up in Dixons for half the cost..

Just my opinion, but i had been armed with the readies at the time and ended up feeling quite let down!

Went and bought some sennheisers for my mp3 player instead!

:)

Absurdly overpriced for what you get. You will get much better sound performance from any one of the following

Denon DM31
Teac CR H250
Onkyo CS220

(TheTeac & Onkyo systems both have DAB tuners).

None of these will cost you more than £300, and if you shop carefully, you could pay a bit less.

I had one on a 30 day trial (no intention of spending £400 on a CD clock radio, but was intrigued). Impressive for its size, but only mediocre sound at best and ludicrously priced. Even if it was £100 there are better sounding options.

I've never really understood the Bose thing. Their acoustimass system is pretty average sounding but OK I guess if you're really short of space. They effectively charge a premium for equipment that is suited to nightclubs & pubs, I don't understand why they are held in such high regard. I mean it's not difficult to make the Audi systems sound better but they struggle to even do that.

Cheers for the feedback guys, guess it's back to the drawing board

Bose seem to of let themselves down over the last couple of years, they seem to be releasing lots of products that rely on the Bose reputation and nothing more, PC speakers that cost 60 quid but sound like chinese sweatshop efforts. On the other hand however, both the Acoustimass 38/48 setups and the newer 3-2-1 DVD Systems are excellent pieces of kit, pricey but still worth it....

IMO

Looked at the acoustimass 5 stuff a few yrs back..

What was interesting was to look at the frequency response of the different components - the Bose Sub can reproduce from 46Hz to 202Hz.. whereas the satellites can reproduce from 280Hz to 13.3KHz..

So as well as the slightly odd overall sound theres a whole gap of frequencies that this kit simply cannot reproduce at all..

Ok, I'm fussy as I used to work for Naim audio and Ive never lost the interest in quality kit - but i dont count this as quality!

Spot on CMS, it's OK kit for it's size, but just like their PA speakers, it's a reasonable sound from a very small unit, but a bit like a dog walking on its hind legs, it's not good because it's done well, just good because it's done at all, which to me isn't good enough.